Thursday, December 24, 2009

Suet eaters dropping by.....

I can always count on the Downy and Red-Bellied woodpeckers to be out there on the suet, but yesterday a couple others posed for some shots..... The Northern Mockingbird stopped by, looking very nervous and jumping back and forth from one side to the other of this suet feeder that had very little in it.
Since I don't see him, too often at the feeder, I took as many shots as I could. They always look a bit "grumpy" to me with that glaring eye and curved beak.
He/she....who can tell?.....seemed to know that I was taking photos, even though I was in the house. I'm sure he was seeing the focusing light. I like the tail straight up here.

At least he gave me some variety of poses.
I imagine he will return off and on over the winter.
My other suet eater for the day, was the Carolina Wren....who is out there every day.
But he doesn't always hold still for photos. I have an awful lot of wren photos with blurred heads or of tail feathers as they hop out of my view at the last minute. This time he was very nice.
He posed over, next to, and all around the suet for me.
He seemed nervous, too, but this feeder is really close to the house.
The perky tail is always flipping up and down......sort of like the Mockingbird on a smaller scale, actually :-) I just realized that with their glinting stare, curved beaks and tail bobbing up and down they have a lot in common!
It is Christmas eve and I imagine many of you will be very busy the next few days with family and celebrations. I will probably get behind with my blogging and commenting, but never fear...I'll catch up eventually!
I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas!

14 comments:

Tony nile life said...

Check out my visitors . no point in giving these any feed . but the Sparrows are enjoying the oats as are the crows and Turtle doves, Pam is bringing a feeder over for them
next month so I can hang the feed where only the sparrows can get it. not that I mind the crows coming but they take the whole lot in one sitting then say thank you before leaving by making a whole mess on my tiles.

Jenny said...

It's always nice when something other than the usual suspects come by for a visit. That Mockingbird is handsome if as you say, a bit servere looking and I always love photos of the Carolina Wren! Hope you and Mike have a wonderful Christmas!

Dorothy said...

Merry Christmas! Your photos of the Mockingbird and Wren are exceptionally good today, Mary!
We hardly ever get Mockingbirds at our feeders, so I'm a little jealous about that! May you and Mike have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Mary. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Eve said...

Merry Christmas Mary! As always your photos are so fun!

Kerri Farley said...

Merry Christmas!!! Love your pics!

Mary said...

Tony: Your bird shots are getting better every day! I love the bee eaters.

Jenny: Sometimes the mockingbird looks handsome and sometimes it looks almost sinister! But I love seeing them.

Dorothy: I don't get them very often either...mostly just in the winter months when they are having more trouble finding food.

Roy: Thanks...Merry Christmas to you, too!

Eve: Thank! Enjoy your first Christmas in Alabama.

Kerri: Thanks...I love your photos, too.

Jenn Jilks said...

Fabulous shots! As ever.
Merry Christmas.

John Theberge said...

I love the festive bow you have on your suet feeder. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy new year.

George said...

I'm glad the mockingbird and wren dropped by your suet feeder. You got great pictures of both, which is not an easy thing to do.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, The Mockingbird is TN State bird--and we have them around here. However, I have never seen on at my feeders. You captured some great pictures of yours.

We do have Carolina Wrens though --and I love watching them...

Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

These are beautiful pictures of both birds.Hope Christmas is filled with peace and joy at your house.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

Two birds that I don't see here and you have presented them so nicely.
Merry Christmas.
B.

abb said...

You get the BEST bird photos! Very envious here!