Anytime we drive between Mt. Vernon and Evansville I spend my time "hawk spotting". On the way there we saw at least one and a Kestrel on the wires, but I didn't get photos.
Hawk #1
On the way home, I got Mike to stop each time I saw one if it didn't immediately fly away. This was a great day for hawks! I've got photos of 7.....probably all Red-Tails......and saw at least two others that were too far away or that flew away as we got close and another Kestrel, which I never seem to get good shots of.
Hawk #2
Hawk #3....this one gave me the best photo of the day.
Hawk #4...this one was very far and the shot is not well focused.
Hawk #5 ....I do believe they think these poles are put up just for them :-)
Hawk #6 ...... The should have named this road "Hawk Drive".
I liked this barn and thought about Rose, who is always posting her favorite barn shots.
11 comments:
You got some nice shots there . lucky you getting close enough. the barn is a weird shape the ridge is so High. I suppose the reason they do not look after the barns now is the cost of roof repairs.
That was a good Hawk Hunt Mary.
That barn has seen better days.
...Rick, Matty and I did the same thing on our trip up to Cleveland this weekend! We saw all Red-tails. I did see one Merlin on the wing, though. I didn't have a camera out to capture such great shots because my hands were on the wheel! It amazes me how easily they stand out as you drive by so quickly....
p.s. Love your banner--it's so Christmassy!
Mike is so nice to stop so much and help you get pictures of the hawks... Amazing. That road should really be named Hawk Drive for sure.
GREAT post.
Hugs,
Betsy
Nice shots, Mary! I really like the barn picture. I try to shoot as many old barns as I can. They are vanishing from the landscape.
You got some great shots of the hawks along your drive. I even like the barn you threw in as a test. I hope you were nice to Mike for stopping so you could get these pictures!
Sounds like a great drive,to see so many hawks.
Blessings,Ruth
Hawk highway indeed! I guess those poles are a great vantage point. Nice that your hubby will stop so that you can get your pics, he's a keeper! (-:
My goodness, you did see so many Hawks. We rarely see them here, although I'm sure I know where there is a Hawk nest near here.
B.
Mary: The hawks are so cool and I enjoy old barns.
Wow! What a lot of hawks. And I do LOVE that barn.
Post a Comment