Thursday, December 3, 2009

When it rains, it pours......

It rained all day yesterday..... .....the driveway is full of puddles.
The feeders were very busy with very wet birds. Mike took this cute Downy shot while I was doing my computer work. It's always nice to find a surprise photo that I don't remember taking when I download the photos :-) He said the Downy was really working on these pine cones that I had dipped in a fat/peanutbutter/seed mix.

Mike took this one of the Heron by the lake, too. He is tall enough to shoot over the bush and I'm not! It seems to be watching the rain fall on the lake and hoping for some food to swim by.
I don't know how this little Goldfinch manages to look so dry when every other bird was soaked!

The male House Sparrow on the front walk hoping I'll throw out some food that he might want.
A very wet Red-Bellied Woodpecker. He looked pretty miserable and hungry.
He really has to lean at this feeder, but I didn't want to go out in the rain and fill the others.

One of the Titmice found the bag of peanuts I hung on the feeder. I also found out that I have a Titmouse that seems to be missing an eye. I thought I noticed it one other day and today saw it again. It seems healthy otherwise. Maybe it was attacked by another bird?
Does he look wet enough? I don't think he likes the rain any better than I do.
Everytime I snapped a photo of the Carolina Wren it either shook its head or jumped half way out of the photo....sigh. this was one of the better ones. The light conditions were as miserable as the weather and the camera focuses slowly.
Maybe the sun will shine tomorrow....maybe not. It's the time of year when we get a lot of days like this.

12 comments:

Tony nile life said...

Excellent shots from the pair of you.
isnt it a marvel what is about us even in the bad weather we all have to survive and survive will the birds as long as we do not interfere in their habitat. I had some bad news 3 days ago and waited to make sure it was true before I blogged it this morning. I have updated the Nile pollution page and put it on all my blogspots.

Eve said...

We had big wind and rain too Mary! Well at least you took pictures! They are all great.

Dorothy said...

In spite of the weather, you got a lot of good pictures!

Becky said...

I guess I can thank you for the rain we're having today. The temp is dropping and it will change to snow by late this afternoon. Oh Joy! I didn't have many birds yesterday, but maybe they'll come back today.I really miss the Red-bellied, and wonder where he and the Mrs. have gone.
Have a great day Mary.
I'm going to miss Joan! I so enjoyed her post and the beautiful SA wildlife.
B.

Cicero Sings said...

That puddle in your driveway says it all. If we lived at the coast, that is what we would be getting ... rain, rain and more rain. We get far more sunshine up here in the interior and we LOVE that.

You got some pretty good pictures despite the drear. Our feeders are busy too ... especially when the temperatures are down ... like they have been for the last couple of days.

abb said...

That little titmouse looks just miserable!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Even the wet birds look good.At least they have plenty to eat at your house,I'm sure they are thankful for that.Have a fantastic day,rain or sun.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yes the birds really do eat when it rains. They were at our feeders all day long---and are back again today (although the rains have stopped).

Too bad about your little Titmouse--who obviously got hurt somehow... Sad!

Have a great day and stay WARM...
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Tony: Birds will be birds no matter what the weather. I'll check your blog later for your news.

Eve: Thanks! The rain gets so tedious.

Dorothy: Thanks!

Becky: Sorry about sending you rain....but I'm glad to see it gone for awhile.

Cicero: I'm glad you live on the non-rainy area. My sister and daughter are in Seattle and get tired of rain.

Annie: They all looked so miserable, I'm glad we have a bit of sun today.

Ruth: They eat so much, I hope I can afford to feed them all winter.

Betsy: I saw the one-eyed Titmouse again today. He seems just as cheerful as the others and in good health otherwise. I just hate to see that lovely face damaged.

Jenny said...

I'm over here across the pond sympathising Mary! We've had alot of wet and windy too. I hate it when it's drab. Glad you managed to get some photos, even if the subjects were somewhat soggy! (-:

Anonymous said...

We have been complaining about the awful weather recently so as Jenny said we know how you feel Mary.

George said...

Our feeders get plenty of action on rainy days as well. We have the same birds except for the heron.