Monday, December 21, 2009

A Bluebird Christmas......

Not a bird that I usually see in December! I was surprised to have 2 Bluebirds stop by my feeding tree and try a bit of everything. Such a pretty bird that doesn't usually come to my feeders at any time of year.
He sat there long enough for a few photos.....
I hope he comes back!
I'm not sure any of my offerings were what he was hoping for.

The suet was probably the best choice for him.
At least he got some of something for his efforts.
I need to ask Santa for a Bluebird nest box so I can be ready for next year!

15 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is really a pretty bird Mary. I hpe it stays too.

Kingsdowner said...

That must be an unusual bird at this time of the year. It had me consulting my venerable tome (Forbush and May) which confirms that they are rarely seen in your area until the spring.
Your feeders must be good!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures - he was very photogenic!

George said...

We had at least one bluebird stop by our feeders the other day as well. She wasn't as colorful as yours and we didn't get any usable pictures.

Mary said...

Joan: thanks!

Steve:I checked my 2 bird books and Sibley shows it year round for my area, but I sure don't see them normally this time! Peterson shows us just barely in the year round area. I'm down in the very southern "toe" of Indiana.

Peggy: Yes, he was...hope he comes back.

George: I was surprised to learn that they can be year round for us...you too, I assume.

Becky said...

What a treat to see them now. They truely are a gift this time of year. I hope the stick around.
You got spectaculer pictures Mary.
B.

Dorothy said...

Mary, your bluebird pictures are fantastic!!! A day or so ago, wehad several of them checking out our feeders and water. They are one of my favorite birds.

Mary said...

Becky: I'm not sure what to feed them, but just bought some sunflower "hearts" as well as suet.

Dorothy: Yours are always so pretty sitting there on your water dish :-) I like them, too, but have never tired a nest box.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

What a very pretty little bird Mary, I don't think I have seen one before.

I'd like to wish you a very happy Christmas and send best wishes for the coming year. A x

Jenny said...

WOW! What a lovely addition to your garden birds Mary. I hope he sticks around for you and that the weather doesn't get too extreme for him. Lovely photos you got! (-:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOW!!! He certainly showed you varied poses,and each one is beautiful .
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Lovely images of the Bluebird Mary. The blue looks like pastel.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I saw one also this week, Mary, but mine wasn't quite as gorgeous as yours. Guess I saw the female...

BUT---I too love the Bluebirds and enjoy having them around anytime they are here. I don't see them nearly as much in the winter.

Thanks for sharing your beauty.
Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

Your bluebirds are precious Mary. I've never been lucky enough to see them.

Eve said...

OH I love him Mary! I've got lots of these guys down here but none come to the feeders.