Thursday, December 17, 2009

Scratching for your dinner....

Winter always brings me more ground feeders than normal. All of these birds hang around under the feeders, the driveway and under my tree by the front steps trying to "scratch up" a meal from the droppings of the other birds and what seed I put there. A House Sparrow giving me a friendly eye.
This was the FATTEST Towhee I have ever seen! I don't know if he is just really fluffed up or if he found a good meal somewhere.

He is so round, he looks like he was designed by wildlife artist, Charles Harper!

They have such pretty color. I don't see them often...usually just a pair in the winter. This is the male. I seldom see the female.
Sides so fat they stick out quite roundly :-)
The Wren is often down with the ground feeders, but also visits the suet.
I have several White Throated Sparrows usually at this time of year. I saw 3 males out there the day I took this.

7 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That Towhee looks cold.Your shots of him are great.The birds have to work so hard to get food,so it's great to help them with feeders.Have a wonderful day.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

Wonderful pictures of your birds, Mary. I hardly ever see a Towhee. Aren't they the ones that scratch with both feet at the same time? Funny to watch them!

Mary said...

Ruth: I had never seen one so fluffed up before. Looked like a little butterball.

Dorothy: Yes, they do scratch that way. Makes it hard to get photos, when they start scratching!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Tell me what you served that Towhee... I think I'm going to come and have some of that also!!!!! Was is some kind of fattening Christmas gooey dessert?????? YUM!!!!! Save me some!

Great pictures...
Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

How nice to see a Towhee. I have only seen one here many years ago. What a beautiful bird.
I'm still waiting for the white crowned, and white throated sparrows to arrive. It seems like they wait for the worse weather.
B

Mary said...

Betsy: LOL! It must have been good whatever it was.

Becky: Towhees are so pretty, I'm glad he stopped by. It's been a long time since I saw a White Crowned Sparrow.

Don Wood said...

we dont get Towhee but Heather captured two ring doves puffed up and sheltering in next doors fir tree, They looked cozy enough but I still prefer it in doors this weather