Saturday, December 26, 2009

Redbirds....Cardinals are always plentiful

In the winter it is easy to see the Cardinals that hang around my bushes. I always wish when we have snow that I could get a really good photo with them scattered here and there in the trees and bushes...sometimes 6-7 pairs at a time.1-2-3-4 redbirds outside my door!
I stepped out into the garage to try to take some bird photos and saw this group in the Forsythia bushes at the end of the drive. They love the dense tangled branches of the Forsythia and hang out there with the House Sparrows most of the time.
There were actually 5 males and this female joined them....they all seem to be ignoring her.
In the middle of a tangle of branches is not the best place for photos.

The female moved up to the corn and sunflower feeding station....do you see the male peeping around the corner underneath?

The Red-Bellied Woodpecker likes this feeding spot also. It provides him a bigger place to land and a choice of food.
"Hmmmm....do I want corn?"
Maybe not today.....the seeds look better.
One of the Titmice checking out the new suet block.
Apparently it is satisfactory.
But sunflower seeds are better!

11 comments:

Kathy W said...

Mary hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Love the shots of the cardinals. I haven't seen any around here since last spring. I need to put out some more bird seed for them.

Tony nile life said...

You certainly saw your share of the birds, nice shots .

Anonymous said...

We will swop you some House Sparrows for some Cardinals Mary.{:)

Dorothy said...

Great bird pictures, Mary. We have a lot to cardinals here, too. I trust that you had a great Christmas. We have one more party to go and then it's back to normal.

Mary said...

Kathy: Thanks...its that hungry time to year.

Tony: Thanks...I need to buy more sunflower seed.

Roy:NO WAY! You will have to offer something better than House Sparrows. We already got that "deal" from you Brits! How about a pair of your pretty Robins in exchange?

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The bushes look decorated for Christmas.Oh how I would love to have Cardinals over here.Once in a while some stray into the area.
Blessings,Ruth

JPT said...

Beautiful birds, you are very lucky.

Anonymous said...

Well OK Mary. {:)

George said...

I thought we had a lot of cardinals, but I think you have us beat. Great pictures.

Don Wood said...

Great Piccies XXX Don

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful photos, as always! Hope you and your family had a very blessed Christmas!