Monday, December 28, 2009

Snow "flurries".... Snow Geese, that is!........

The photos don't change much, but I can't get enough of watching these geese while they are around! We arrived just in time for a "flurry" Saturday, as they got stirred up and swarmed over the field before settling down again. (Some photos might look better if you click to make them bigger, others might look worse, if I have cropped them alot :-)
Smoke stakes on the other side of the Ohio River at the power plant in Mount Vernon.
The mix this time was Snow Geese, Greater White-Front Geese, a few Canada Geese, and Mallards.
I forgot to take a step stool again....darn that grass at the side of the road! I gave Mike the camera at one point, so if there is no grass in the way, he probably took the shot.




The Greater White-fronted Geese were staying together in a group on one side of the road and the Snow Geese mostly on the other side.
A bit dark, but I like their white "v" on the tail against the dark trees.





There were a lot of hunters out surrounding the "safe" area, hoping a few would stray across the invisible line to their side. We heard a few shots, but not many.

16 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, I wish I had flocks of geese just up the road. Glad too see you're able to make the most of them! (-:

Dorothy said...

Mary, you have so many good pictures of the Geese!! I wish we had some of those wet-lands around here. We have a few Canada Geese at the lakes around here, but nothing close to what you have there! Have a great day!

Eve said...

I love the geese photos Mary! Reminds me of back where I was from.

Becky said...

I would love to trade your Snow geese for all the Canada's we have here. I bet the noise is deafening.
8" of snow over night. More coming later this afternoon. It's difficult to keep the feeders clear.
B.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like those snow flurries.At least you don't have to get the snow blower out.:)It is amazing to see so many birds in one area.
Blessings,Ruth

CountryDreaming said...

Here's hoping the geese have all learned by now to stay on their side of the line. I'm okay with hunting and have enjoyed the taste of wild fowl (quail, never feasted on geese) ... that said, these geese are so pretty!

Lindy said...

More great photos of the geese, Mary! Actually, I kind of like the shots with the grass at the lower front of the photos; gives it an extra dimension. But I can certainly understand wanting that "clear" shot!

George said...

I would say that you saw more than a 'flurry' of geese -- it looks more like a 'storm' to me. These are great pictures.

Patrinas Pencil said...

Wow! I can't even imagine what the sound of all those geese made. Especially flapping their wings in one accord - through the air with the greatest of ease. Must be an amazing experience!

JPT said...

Wow - that's a lot of Geese!

Anonymous said...

Just keep posting them Mary, they are great.

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful shots! Hope you have a great new year...Glad you are getting some lovely snow, as long as you aren't snowed in! We are missing out! All my best for the months of photography ahead!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! It is a great place over in Kentucky and we are really lucky that they stop here all winter at this protected reserve. Last winter was the first time I knew about it, so this year we were looking for them.

Kelly said...

Gosh, Mary....I would LOVE to see this. I would go crazy for the "flurry" of geese...

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a great number of geese.

abb said...

I would LOVE to see this!