Saturday, December 5, 2009

Red-Bellied and Downy Woodpeckers....

I never tire of the woodpeckers, no matter how many times I see them. The sun was shining and the Red-Bellied Woodpecker was posing nicely. I think the Red-Bellied is one of the prettiest woodpeckers out there, and that red head and beautiful B&W patterned back make it a real eye catcher.
Side or back...it still looks pretty :-)

"Anything here for me?"
You can see a bit of the red on the belly that gives it the name. Hardly its most noticable feature, but I guess you can't call them all "red headed".
He goes to the trouble to select the sunflower seeds from the suet instead of just eating sunflower seeds at one of the other feeders! Maybe the suet coating is sort of like "gravy" for him.
He finally noticed the little ant guard cups that I use for seeds and is being selective about which seed might be just the right one.
"Ah, ha....this is the one!"
For such a large woodpecker, he can be very dainty in his actions.
The Downy was really wanting to get to the suet, too and tried to share. The Red-Bellied doesn't really like sharing and usually pokes anyone who tries it. He had already chased the Blue Jay away, but I guess the Downy is a "small cousin", so they had a sort of truce.
The female Downy decided that the crumbs that got dropped on the ground were just as good.
Downys don't stand out so well on the ground!
The Downy male sneaking in when the Red-Bellied was gone.
Then of course there always the House Sparrows who will bully their way in, no matter who is there first! They are hard to chase away, even by the woodpeckers!

15 comments:

Mike said...

Nice shots Mary, stunning looking woodpeckers.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant images Mary, well done.

Anonymous said...

Your woodpeckers look quite... well-fed :)
And your images are brilliant as usual. I never tire to look at them.

Jenny said...

Lovely photos of those two woodpeckers. I'm envious! I've never had a woodpecker in my garden, am never likely to as we don't have many trees nearby unfortunately. I'll just have to keep enjoying yours Mary! (-:

Dorothy said...

Great shots, Mary! I never see those woodpeckers!

storyteller said...

Marvelous photo series of these woodpeckers ... so colorful ;-)
Hugs and blessings,
Small Reflections

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The Red-bellied Woodpecker is a real beauty.It would be fun to watch him at a feeder.Thanks for sharing this time you had with him.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I do love the Red-bellied, but so far nothing yet. Maybe they are waiting for snow. Great shots Mary. I love looking at your birds.
B.

George said...

These are wonderful pictures of the Red-bellied Woodpecker. They are one of our very favorite visitors as well, but I don't have these great pictures.

Jo said...

Wonderful photos of these woodpeckers, Mary. We don't have woodpeckers where we live in South Africa but see them in many other locations around the country. A friend of mine here in town (Ida from South Africa) sent me your link and I followed you from my blog as well. Thanks for visiting, I'll be back.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful pictures of the birds, Mary... I love the Red-bellied also (my Pete and Petunia----all of them are Pete or Petunia... ha ha )....

I've had Starlings around my house the past couple of days. Hope they move on. Don't like them...


We got SNOW... Tomorrow's post!!!! ha
Hugs,
Betsy

John Theberge said...

I only get the downy and hairy woodpeckers at my suet feeder. That's when the blasted bluejays aren't hogging it.

Mary said...

Mike and Roy: Thanks!

Aluajala: I do my best to keep them fat and happy :-)

Jenny: If there are woodpeckers in the vicinity, it doesn't take much to encourage them to come. I think they can sense a suet feeder from a great distance :-)

Dorothy: Keep trying!

Storyteller: Thanks!

Ruth: They are fun to watch..I like how they use their tail for balance and inch up and down the tree.

Becky: As the weather gets colder I see them more and more.

George:Thank...you and Betsy both get great photos of your birds.

Jo:Thanks...you have a lot of other interesting birds.

Betsy: Starlings are a nusiance. They are still hanging around the fields here, but if we get snow, they will come to the feeders.

John: Well...I like the Bluejay, too. My Red-Bellied chases the Bluejay away.

Eve said...

I wonder if the RBW is related to the Guinea Mary...their back looks an awful lot like my guinea kids.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: I also love the Red Bellied Woodpecker and their impressive size.
Great set of photos.