Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Home birds odds and ends......

We had a very light dust of snow last night.....barely enough to turn anything white, but it makes it look like December and winter :-)Look fast....before its gone!
It did bring the birds out early looking for food before I had time to fill the feeders. The Cardinal found a few sunflower seeds in the cup.

A very cute Chickadee from a couple days ago when the sun was shining.
He decided that upside down was the best approach for the pine cone feeders.
The downy gets upside down, too, but in a different way.
A downy in the tree for a change.
Junco. For a bird that comes right up to the door, I get remarkabley poor photos of them. Their pink bill just seems to disappear usually or not focus.
One of the resident squirrels checking out the bench on the deck.
A hawk getting ready for take-off.
We trimmed the Christmas tree yesterday and were out running around trying to get some lights that work, so I didn't get many shots.

15 comments:

Kelly said...

...they look so cute getting the peanut butter off the pinecone. I've never done that before. I need to give it a try! In that posture, the hawk looks more like a chicken!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat show of your birds. I'm glad the snow does't stay very long.

Mary said...

Kelly:LOL! I think he looks like a chicken, too! I mixed up some old grease drippings with the peanut butter and corn meal and seeds anything else they might eat and then dipped the cones in it and froze them. I put a hanging wire on the cones first. I need to do some more since they seem to like it. I usually take the same mix and freeze it in a bag and put out chunks through out the winter. If I don't have a mix, then just putting peanut butter on works, too. I also put peanut butter in holes in posts on the deck.

Tom: I'm glad it doesn't stay, too. I like the look on the grass and trees, but not on the roads :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Your birds continue to delight me! Thanks for sharing them... In My Muskoka the birds have been plentiful, the squirrels and raccoons seem to have been slumbering since our knee-deep snowfall!

Dorothy said...

Good bird and squirrel pictures, Mary. I think the hawk looks like a chicken, too!

George said...

I like you pine cone feeders and it sounds as if the birds do as well. We always get a lot of action around our feeders when it rains. Fortunately we didn't have any snow yesterday.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, You did get some great pictures of your birds. Love the Pinecone feeder. That Downy is working hard to get to it--isn't he???? ha

Glad you got a little snow. We are just getting rain today.. It's too warm here (40's)...

That hawk must see dinner!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, your hawk is either a Sharp shinned or a Coopers, I don't know enough to tell you which, but someone else might. At least it's different from a Red tail! (-:

sandy said...

Love the squirrel on the bench...it looks cold there.

Jenny said...

Sorry Mary, having had another look, I think that its actually a Red-shouldered Hawk. I was to quick off the mark......

Becky said...

That's probably all the snow you want too. LOL
I love the at home birds.
Nasty weather headed our way. I had so many birds today.
B.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone....
Jenny: Mike thought it was a Red Shouldered Hawk, too. I wish my upright photo had been better, but this one was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary. Such a beautiful bird that Cardinal, summer of winter.

Mary said...

Roy: They definitely look best in the winter! So bright red than and against the dreary landscapes, a real beauty :-)

Kathie Brown said...

Those hungry hawks are everywhere right now! I just had one land in my yard yesterday.