Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Leftovers....

Very little to offer......it rained all day yesterday....gloomy.Besides seeing the Merlin at Blue Grass we saw a bunch of American Tree Sparrows. Not a great shot, but I was surprised to see how easily their dark chest spot showed up.
CountryDreaming sent me the following poem for my photo:
Here's a haiku for your first picture, called "Tree Sparrows in a Bleak Mid-winter Bush" ...

Sparrows flit like leaves,
Lend friendship to lone branches,
Carry songs of hope.

~~ CD
(Thanks....CD!)

A little closer shot of one of the Tree Sparrows.


Finally.......One of the quilters in the local quilt guild has made a quilt square and put it on her barn. Wonderful to have at least one here in southern Indiana. I have photographed them in Ohio and Kentucky so far, but this is my first Indiana one! I hope other quilters in this area follow suit.

A Flying Geese block....very appropriate for southern Indiana and the many geese that migrate and live here. One of my favorite blocks.

Well...that calls for a photo of some real "flying geese"....even if not a great one. We've been seeing lots of geese flying overhead the last few days.

The Robins are in huge groups suddenly.....I had a flock of them attacking the last of the crab apples in my tree and they are all over the ground.

13 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...looks like your not getting snow and or ice like half the country are...
I love seeing the barns with the quilts on them...so unique!!
The Robins are blending in very well with the leaves..if wasn't for there dark heads you could hardly see them!!

CountryDreaming said...

IMHO you have a lot to offer when it comes to your first photo, which I really like. The composition is wonderful, the three sparrows positioned perfectly, the simplicity of muted winter colors making a visual haiku. Definitely artistic! And wish I'd taken it! You'd see it on my blog as a standalone solo photo. :-)

As for your seeing Tree Sparrows, that would have been a day brightener for me right there. I haven't seen them in years. Of course I haven't done much birding in winter either and tend to wait for spring warbler migration. That said, I consider seeing a Tree Sparrow to be a real treat.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Hope you all have missed the worst of the ice storm.... We only have rain and WIND...

Great pictures... I LOVE that Quilt Barn... NEAT!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth Hiebert said...

Nice to see the geese and Robins,at least I know they are on the way.
Ruth

Mary said...

Grammie G: It is hard to take a photo without a half dozen robins right now. So many of them around! No ice and snow.... yet.

Country Dreaming: Really? I actually think my first photo is awful and almost didn't post it. So hard to see the birds and the light was so poor. I guess we all look at things differently. Thanks for the kind comments.

Betsy: We may get some bad weather by Thursday, but it was in the 40's today.

Ruth: I sure hope the Robins are right!

George said...

I like your Indiana quilt barn. I, too, hope you get more so you can share them with us.

Arija said...

So ice to see the robins having a good feed.

Rose said...

Love that quilt block...keep thinking about making one to put on the garage or on the side of the house...haha

My brother sent me a pic he took yesterday of a whole flock of robins under this tree in his backyard that is coated with ice....poor things.

Mary said...

George: I think there are a few more in Indiana that I haven't found yet, but not many. We have so many barns, I wish quilters would put more up.

Arija:The robins probably are unhappy today...it is blowing and much colder, bit of snow.

Rose: If I had a barn I would put one up. I have thought about putting one on our chimney..it is wood...but no one would see it except those who live here.

CountryDreaming said...

Here's a haiku for your first picture, called "Tree Sparrows in a Bleak Mid-winter Bush" ...

Sparrows flit like leaves,
Lend friendship to lone branches,
Carry songs of hope.

~~ CD

Katney said...

I think they call the flying gweese arranged in that block a Dutchman's Puzzle. (The others are called migration--;-}) It reminds me I have a bunch of Flying Gees to assemble.

Becky said...

That barn has the same pattern on the one I sent you from around here.
I saw a flock of Robins today. I couldn't believe it! They won't make it in this cold weather.How will they find food?
B.

Mary said...

CountryDreaming: Thanks for the great poem! I added it to my post. I have never tried to write haiku.

Katney:OH, good....I couldn't remember what that arrangement was called and tried to look it up.

Becky: Makes you wonder, doesn't it? I have tons of Robins showing up, but it is much warmer here than where you are.