Thursday, February 10, 2011

Finches everywhere.....

My finch population seems to be increasing the last few days. I counted at least 20 House Finches yesterday and I've got Goldfinches, too. I like the pinky red color of the House Finch male and always think of them as "Red Finches" in my own mind. It gets too confusing with House Finches and House Sparrows hanging around out there together.
A bit funny looking dead on.

It is funny to watch them scoot down this tiny branch and try to lean in and get seeds.

Waiting his turn.

Enjoying the early morning sunshine.

Out on a limb
A female who appears to have an eye problem. I hate that and I always seem to have some that do have the eye problems. This time of year is bad for getting out to clean the feeders and try to keep them more sanitary. I will have to do that soon and clean up some of the seed mess from the winter. I don't know why House Finches are so susceptible to the eye problems, but they are the only birds I see it in.

She turned around and her other eye looks perfectly fine.

The Goldfinches like the end of the limbs, too while they wait for an opening at a feeder.
They are very patient quiet birds. When they do eat nothing much will make them fly away.

Perching.
I bet this is a male. I can just see a faint hint of where the black cap will be in another couple months.

7 comments:

Katney said...

I so love your birds. They are refreshing visit each time I come by.

CountryDreaming said...

Really cute finch poses! The ones I confuse are House Finches and Purple Finches. And the Goldfinches look so peaceful ...

George said...

We have an abundance of finches at our feeders as well, but we have more gold finches than house finches. You got some great pictures.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, We have a BIG number of finches also, but as George said, we have more Goldfinches than we do House Finches... And we now have some Pine Siskins....

Great pictures... Sorry to hear about the eye infection. I remember that problem two years ago... Sad.
Hugs,
Betsy

Janice K said...

They looked like they were posing just for you. Cute pictures!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Fascinating pictures.I noticed a Goldfinch here yesterday which already had a partial black cap.I was so surprised I didn't even get a picture.
Ruth

Chubskulit Rose said...

Gorgeous shots!

Hope you can come and take a look at my Skywatch post. Have a great weekend.