It was suppose to be nice yesterday, so we decided to drive over to Illinois to Olney to see the white squirrels and visit some conservation areas. Instead it turned out to be overcast and windy the whole day. The squirrels stayed in their cozy nests and we fought the wind for every photo we got of anything else.
A brief stop by the river in Grayville, IL found this pair of domestic geese sitting by the waterfront. I believe these are Egyptian Geese?
Certainly an odd looking goose.
There were also a flock of gulls. When I stepped out to take the goose photo about a dozen of them flew in to see if I had food. Obviously a favorite spot for people to come feed them!
2-3 were sitting on this log out in the water.
Ring-billed gulls
Out first lake stop was in Olney, but it amazes me how the ducks know exactly where the center of the lake is, so that no matter what side you are on, they are too far out there for good shots! It was too windy for the new lens, I couldn't control it. I can tell that there were Ring-necked, Scaup, and Canvasbacks in the mix we saw.....
.....and a pair of Hooded Mergansers that were a little closer when we first got there.
But they were camera shy and headed to the middle of the lake with everyone else :-)
This was a different lake and again.....Scaups, I think....but way out there. This is cropped and is still bad.
I didn't see the white squirrels this year, but at least one little Fox Squirrel was willing to pose for a few seconds. This was the first year we didn't find the white ones. Will try again later in the year when it is nice and sunny.
Just as we were leaving this park, we saw about 30 turkeys crossed the road further up, so we sneaked up as close as we could in the car and got a few shots of them as they slowly disappeared into the woods.
gobble, gobble
I don't see turkeys very often and was curious about this one with the golden brown wings....different from all the others.
Another shot of the one with brown wings.
Well.....I also took photos of some buildings and such, and will save them for another day.
The turkeys made the day for me....as well as the Mergansers.....since I seldom see either one. And we almost finished listening to the first volume of Mark Twain's autobiography during the drive over and back :-) We've been working on it for quite a while!
10 comments:
Sounds like we have pretty much the same weather, Mary. I thought you would enjoy Vickie Henderson's turkey art ... I love her Crane pictures, too.
Sounds like a nice day, Mary. Glad you enjoyed your day --and the books on tape...
Great pictures of the turkeys especially --and I have never seen one like that brown-winged one... Awesome!!!
Those are odd looking geese in the first couple of photos.
Great pictures. Thanks!
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
you always have such exceptional photos. sounds like you had a full day. hope your weekend is as good.
I wonder if those geese ever look in a mirror? LOL In spite of the windy conditions,it sounds like you had a good time and that is most important.
Cool turkeys. LOVE the one you caught "flapping" :)
The weather may not have cooperated, but I think you had a very successful trip. Although I, too, am impressed by the turkey with the brown wings, I have to confess that the Egyptian Goose is one of the strangest-looking birds I've ever seen.
Great shots! Those Egyptian Geese look like their heads are deformed! I know you had a wonderful day!
Wow, you sure had a successful day!
My goodness you had a very productive day. Such a great variety.
Don't know about the Turkeys, but from our past travels through West Virginia and Virginia we saw turkeys that were more brown or bronz.
B.
Your bird photos are really great. I especially like the "flapping wild turkey." Great blog!
Post a Comment