Brrrrrrrr.......We aren't getting the terrible snow or ice that the north is getting, but the temps dropped quite a bit today. Winter making her return for Groundhog's Day. Sorry...no groundhogs. Too cold to come out and look for your shadow.
I did catch the Towhee sneaking out of the bush for some seeds. I've been trying to get a decent photo of it. It always hears me open the door to sneak out for a better shot and disappears into the bush again.
One good shot....a male, as you can tell by the really black head and back. I haven't seen a female here yet.
Right above it on the Maple tree a female Red-bellied Woodpecker was doing some searching for bugs.
She dug in one spot for awhile.
I had Mike take a bungee cord and put up a new suet feeder in honor of the awful cold weather. Will mount it better when it warms up :-) A Downy/Hairy? found it pretty quickly. Couldn't tell the size well enough. Usually I try to mentally measure it against the suet cage.
This male Cardinal looked like it was fighting "Custer's Last Stand" backed up against the tree and surrounded by Cowbirds and Starlings. Poor thing looks a bit intimidated!
Way too many Cowbirds, but they do have a certain beauty.
Cowbird female and Starling.....it made an interesting comparison. When the Starling waddled up, it was like two fussy females meeting at the neighborhood market.
"So what'cha buying today, Deary? I think these sunflower seeds look pretty fresh."
Cowbird female on its own.
Male bonding among the lads.
10 comments:
Hi Mary...Your picture of the Towhee is pretty ..I have only see them a few times!!!Looks like you had a lot of takers today even the Hawk
My birds had a hard day.. we are almost buried...6 inches yesterday and about 18 today ( at my house)at this rate I should be able to walk right up on the roof by spring hahaha!!!
Stay warm!!
The Towhee is a beautiful bird.Oh to get rid of all those Cowbirds and Starlings.Let me know if you find a fool proof way.
Ruth
Hi Mary, Great photos of your birds. We don't have any cowbirds --or at least I don't see them... They may be on the ground somewhere... I did see that ONE Startling ---but that's been it.
I notice that when my birds all disappear quickly, it's because there is a hawk nearby....
Hugs,
Betsy
Hi Mary. I only have to put a hand on the door handle and the birds retreat!
Nice shot of the colourful Towhee. Despite being a bully, I love the winter plumage on the Starling.
I get tired of all the starlings, house sparrows, etc...but I tell myself they are hungry, too. and they are beautiful, I just don't usually take the time to stop and really look.
Your bird picture are always so good!
Excellant shots of that Towhee Mary. I can't seem to get clear pictures of the one that comes here. Love those squirrels too.
I'm so glad we didn't get that monster storm, just a coating of ice and 3-4" of snow.
B.
Very nice pictures, Mary! I haven't seen a Towhee around here in a long time. I think they a very pretty.
Thanks everyone! Today we had sunshine to make up for that cold yesterday.
Hi Mary, I'm enjoying all your photos. I love Starlings - they are beautiful. Great photos and enjoyed your drive photos too.
Post a Comment