Sunday, February 6, 2011

Squirrel Sunday and Hovey Lake part 2....

Our Snow came back this morning..... ......so here is a snowy squirrel.
None of that has anything to do with our drive to Hovey Lake.
These shots are all either coming or going to the lake. We saw lots of hawks....in the air soaring, in trees, on posts and wires. This Red-tailed was on a post, but decided to go soaring as we stopped to watch him.

Occasionally I see a barn I like, but we can't always stop for photos easily.

I thought this hawk shot was rather weird! He's wearing his head backwards. That tree is certainly beginning to bloom, also. All in all....an odd shot.

There are lots of small cemetery plots.....family plots.....scattered in fields. It always seems sort of strange to me to see a tiny fenced cemetery in the middle of a field or yard. This one had a gravel road leading back near it so we drove down the road.

As we came around one corner, there was this memorial to someones dog, with lights and a bench. There were a lot of flags marking something and a statue that looked like St. Francis of Assisi. I wonder if someone has started a pet cemetery there? Will have to check again later in the year.

This barn was along the same gravel road....not much of it left.

My favorite hawk. It was on the ground when we started to drive by and it flew up to this branch.....obviously taking some grass along. We thought it had caught something.....

.....so did he, but if he did, he dropped it.

He looks rather disappointed and dejected. I hope he found another meal.

An old school right by the side of the road.

The sign on it.

A hawk taking off from the wire as we approached.
The hawk and kestrel populations seem to be very healthy down here. I'm getting where I don't stop for Kestrels any more, since they always fly away and I don't get a good shot anyway. I do love just driving around seeing what is out there.

8 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Once again,thanks for the ride in the country-side.With all the hawks in your area,I can only wait for them to head further north.Another month and hawk migration will be in full swing here.YEAH!!.
Ruth

George said...

Thanks for taking us along with you as you explored the area around Hovey Lake. I really like your photos of the hawk that dropped his meal.

Dorothy said...

I enjoyed the trip and seeing your pictures! You always manage to get good pictures of hawks. Funny how they can turn their heads backwards!

Cicero Sings said...

That must have been one revered pet to have such a memorial plot!

DeniseinVA said...

A very nice tour of the countryside you took us on, thanks Mary.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely trip! THanks for sharing it!

Rose said...

Mary, wish I had been following along with you...I have really enjoyed this post.

Arija said...

Love the snowy squirrel, the barns, the school the birds . . . I love it all. Thanks for taking us along.