The West Baden Springs Hotel was build in 1902 and has a 6-story domed atrium. It was once known as the "8th wonder of the world" during it's hey-day of popularity. It ceased to offer accomodation in 1932. It fell into ruin and was in really bad shape when a group led by Bill and Gayle Cook desided to rescue it. I actually visited it once in 1967 with college friends and remember being awed by the dome, but there was little else to see at that time. It has just been reopened as a hotel in 2007, completely restored.
Heading up the drive is a delightful beginning.
Mike dropped me at one end of the grounds to roam the flower gardens and drove to the other end to wait for me. I saw this birdhouse right off and thought it was very clever :-) Didn't see any residents.
As you walk past the bathhouse where the mineral springs are located, you immediately are struck by the beauty of the place......even in a light drizzle of rain.
Gorgeous beds of red flowers!
Down the steps past more formal gardens
Still a lot of color for late in the summer. There were also large beds that had been full of Black-eyed Susans or something similar, because I saw a flock of Goldfinches take off from them. Those beds weren't very attractive at the moment, but the birds loved them.
I was suprised to see that the purple flowers along the walk I was admiring were the same Obedience Plants that I have at home by the garage! How come mine don't look that good???? I bet they have a master gardener caring for theirs.
Beds of grasses addng a nice yellowish touch.
A large fountain near the end. That is Mike in the silver car waiting patiently :-)
I loved this fountain with the frogs and turtles squirting water at each other!
I took one last photo from this end and then looked at the car where Mike was frantically pointing to the area just the other side of the hedge on the right of this photo.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
Awesome! That looks gorgeous! Can't wait to tomorrow! :)
Cheers, Klaus
Wonderful series of photos. I see you have a patient husband also :))
Great post, that place looks incredible and I look forward to tomorrow.
What a beautiful place! Lovely doe photos.
How beautiful. Looks more like a palace you would see outside Paris. Thanks for letting us tour it with you.
Marnie
Klaus: I wish we could have seen more of the interior than we did. I'd love to stay there, but I believe Mike said something about $300+ a night.
Denise: Yes, Mike is very patient and knows I enjoy taking photos of this sort of thing.
Helen: This doe was my favorite, because I got so close without her knowing I was there at first. I wonder if she strolls around the gardens all the time :-)
Marnie:It appears to be quite a palace inside too. I can see why the rich and famous loved it back in the early part of the century when I'm sure it was pretty unique!
These are most beautiful grounds. You are finding the most lovely, interesting places to visit. Wonderful grounds, I could imagine one wandering around there for hours.
Beautiful gardens Mary. Here are plenty ideas for you of what to do in yurs. LOL!! At least borrow their gardener for a week or two!!
An interesting looking place. I look forward to the inside pictures!
Kayaks are very fun. I love mine. We chose inflatables for ease of packing around and in storing. They are very stable and safe feeling. I don't have much trouble getting into mine but I must admit, I'm a bit of a klutz at getting out ... I have yet to develop a technique! I can see your concern if you had a bad knee.
What a beautiful and peaceful place to visit! Love the deer!
--JB
Hi Mary,
Lovely flower photos. I am beginning to think also that the grass doesn't grow under your feet. You certainly get around.!
Ann: It was a very pretty place to wander. Would be great to stay there1
Joan: Yes, I could definitely use a gardener to come by daily. I used to be better about digging in the dirt until my knee got bad. Now I let the gardens be neglected and rely on perrenials.
JB: You would have enjoyed the deer up close, I'm sure.
Roy: Well....it was a 3-4 day trip and we did as much as we could. I hate missing anything :-)
Those gardens are FABULOUS!
And what a capture ....a deer sticking out it's toungue! Neato!
Kerri: It was a lovely place and I thought the deer was really funny when I saw the tongue sticking out :-)
Of course, all your photos are wonderful, but the cleome in that 6th photo....I've been trying to find those flowers to photograph all summer (mine failed to "thrive", (they died)) and there you did! Just lovely!
Annie: If someone else hadn't posted a Cleome I would not have known what flower you were talking about :-) They are very pretty and maybe I'll have to try some....when I get a gardener hired...ha!
I enjoyed catching up and this post was AWESOME!
s
Wow, that hotel sure has same beautiful and interesting grounds.
Sandy and John: This was a great place. We will have to go back. It's only a couple of hours from where I live.
The grounds are beautiful. A visit there would definitely be both memorable and relaxing.
2sweetnsaxy: I keep wondering if the "Pluto Water" really does anything for you and what the spa would be like.
Post a Comment