Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hodgepodge.....

Well....it's mid-week left-overs again! I always seem to run out of stuff or have left over stuff about this time of week. I was too busy yesterday to take photos

One last goose shot.....I thought it looked like ballet and I like the colors in the reflections on the lake.....a bit of fall color already.

A "Daddy Long Legs".....which I learned are NOT spiders. (They have head and body fused and only 2 eyes instead of 8). My son told me that, so of course I had to check to make sure he was right. The proper name of this creature is a Harvestman. He seems to be missing a leg on the right and has that double size one on the left! Why the weird leg size on the left ??? I remember in Girl Scouts picking these off the sides of our tent by their legs and scaring the more squeamish girls. That is probably how a lot of them end up missing legs!

The only flowers I have left! My Live-Forever (sedum)

A grosbeak that stopped in for a few minutes and I only got one shot before he was gone. In a hurry to get south, I guess.

An interesting flower at the arboretum that insisted on facing the wrong way, so I could not get a better shot.

Going to seed.

Probably one of the last Monarchs that I will see.

Winterberry.....I liked the color and there were some that were redder, also.

Killdeer hiding behind the reeds.

A white butterfly that actually held still for a few seconds.

One of my nightly skunks

2 splashing sparrow and a jealous looking dove watching. I think he wanted his turn!
Well.....that's not much. Good thing SkyWatch is tomorrow.....I always have the sky!

15 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Nice end of summer post. A little of everything. I guess you are very careful about going outside after dark. Wouldn't want to startle Pepé Le Pew.
Marnie

Jenny said...

Hi Mary
That goose shot is great! Also love the Killdeer through the reeds and the lovely orange berries. Autumn is one of my favourite times of year!

Mary said...

Marnie: thanks....that little "pepe" isn't the only one. Some nights I have the one with the black tail and other nights the one with the white tail and I think they is a mixed one also! I open and slam the door a few times and they run away...briefly.

Jenny: Autumn is great and now that I'm resigned to it, I can't wait for the changing leaves!

The Birdlady said...

You're right - it does look like a ballet! Wonderful shot. I don't think your hodgepodge is not much -I love it!

Cicero Sings said...

It is harder to get pictures now isn't it?

Love the first picture of the geese. Great shot.

Anonymous said...

Its "Goose Lake" rather than "Swan Lake" Mary.

Anonymous said...

I'm so disappointed - Roy stole my line!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone!
Roy and Wren: You're quicker than I am....I didn't even think of it...duh! Hope "Goose Lake" has a happier ending :-)

Emily said...

Oh dear! I think there is an entire compartment in my heart for scruffy little birds! Sigh! Too cute!

Becky said...

I still like leftovers! Honestly I tried taking just one shot per day, but it just doesn't work for me. I get carried away sometimes. Your shots are ALL wonderful, so bring on the leftovers!

Mary said...

Emily: I agree that scruffy little birds are just the cutest ever :-)

Becky: I can't do one photo either. I never have one shot that is so outstanding that it stands alone and I like so many things that I just get enthusiastic about all of them. Some weeks or days it runs over and other times I'm short. I hate letting any photo sit around too long before using it.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

There are so many great ones today again Mary, but I think I like the little sparrows in the bath best of all then those orange berries with the green leave, not to forget they lovely "goose" ballet and......LOL!! Many insects are able to grow a leg again it one or more is broken off this is when they grow out thicker and different to the rest.

Mike said...

Nice post Mary, great shots.
Spiders are cool drop by and see.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I loved this series of shots. So many were just great! Where do I start? LOL! The geese were in perfect harmony, like a ballet. I have a picture of that same kind of spider on a chrysanthemum, don't remember if I posted it or not. And tat last shot of the bathing birds is just too cute!

sandy said...

Love the photos...especially the very top and the very bottom.