Monday, September 29, 2008

Big Birds, Little Birds.....

I thought I'd post assorted birds from this weekend. Some are at the wetlands and some are at home. There are about 60+ geese hanging around the wetlands right now. As night nears, they all get on the boardwalk, leaving a nasty mess to walk through. Here we have Canada Geese, ducks, and Killdeer all getting ready to settle down for the night.

A Great Blue Heron is on the other boardwalk! With the sun going down, I was having light problems.....either too light or too dark!

Up in a tree a couple of doves were getting comfortable and this one was grooming its tail feathers.

The geese were doing all sorts of grooming and posturing.

This one had been splashing around and then raised her wings up.....funny looking!

Either cleaning the tail or doing yoga.....hard to tell :-)

Back home the birds were hanging around the fountains and the birdbath and the feeders.
This titmouse had been drinking.

A Carolina Wren on the deck fountain. I haven't seen my wrens much this summer! Glad to see one, if only briefly!

The chickadee decided to take a bath, after carefully looking around for about 5 minutes.

A finch peering through the honey vine, which is blooming like crazy, making my dead tree look spring-like.

The sparrow's turn to drink. I really need to scrub the frog fountain out! This weather is really making algae grow on it. I try to flush a lot of fresh water into it, and push some of the old water out.

One of the male House Finches at the feeder. My Goldfinches are finally beginning to change to winter color, but I didn't have a good photo to post. I still have hummingbirds.

I can tell that bird activity at home is picking up some. I also saw one of the downys today and of course, cardinals and lots of House Sparrows and doves. Won't be long and I'll be spending a fortune on bird seed again!

16 comments:

Eve said...

Great photos Mary...I love them all!

me ann my camera said...

The little Wren looks very sweet; and that species is still on my 'want to see' list, and I've never seen a Titmouse before either.

Roses and Lilacs said...

I really enjoy seeing your bird photos. I haven't many house finches this year, are you seeing as many as last season?
Marnie

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I personally think it was yoga Mary!! I guess soon it will soon start cooling and then all these lovely birds will disappear.

Becky said...

Oh yes I can tell the signs. The winter birds are starting to show up.
Those goose shots are priceless. I just love the one with the wings up close to the body.
I had a Carolina Wren here on Saturday, and couldn't find my camera quick enough. Sometimes it stays around most of the winter.
I like your fountain. Cool!
There's geese everywhere here too, but they stay mostly on the creek thank goodness.
I'm waiting for the Tundra ( whistling)Swans to begin their migration. They fly over us every year, and so far I've not been able to get any photos, but I'll be on guard this year. They fly so high though I'm not sure I'll be able to get any good pictures.

Mary said...

Eve: Thanks!

Ann: I'm always surprised that you don't have titmice because here they "hang out" with the chickadees! I always figure if you have one you would have the other. The map in the back of the Peterson book shows them working their way north! They are here all winter, so I don't think your cold winters would deter them.

Marnie: My House finches are just beginning to pick up in number again. When it gets really cold, I'm sure I will have plenty.

Joan: I know that I'm not that flexible...that's for sure! I have lovely birds all winter. Better than summer, actually!

Becky: I hope you get photos! I never see swans here. Usually, I have wrens all summer, but this summer has been a bit barren for the birds. Mike made both of my fountains for me...we saw that fiberglass frog ball at Lowe's and he just drilled a hole through the center and installed tubing. This year we gave it a fresh coat of paint and some polyurethane to help protect the surface. I was hoping that would make it easier to clean! They love to sit on it, but it can get very dirty....like right now....when conditions are dry.

The Birdlady said...

mary, these are all great - love the goose with it's wings raised.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary
I love that wing-stretch Canada too. Similar to my Heron photo, but yours is sharper! Yes, it's getting to that time of year when you need a mortgage to buy the bird seed! (-:

Mary said...

Helen: I hate to keep posting geese all the time, but I really do like them and they offer such nice poses :-)

Jenny: I thought your photo was quite good! These geese would let anyone get close and take photos...makes it easy. Isn't it terrible? I often go through 50 lbs. of sunflower seed in less than a week in the winter! When Mike retires, the birds may have to fend for themselves :-)

Rose said...

Oh Mary, I love these pictures...love that funny one of the goose. And I love wrens I think best of all...just love their song and personality.

sandy said...

I always enjoy your bird photos.

I like your banner too!

Mike said...

Nice collection Mary, really like the Sparrow having a drink shot.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You have certainly captured many different poses.That's what makes photography interesting.Yes, the need for a constant supply of bird food is fast approaching.Great photos

Mary said...

Rose: Thanks! I love wrens, too.

Sandy:Thanks! I suppose I'll change it to something fall soon. I need to update the sidebar,too. I'd say the time for dragonflies is about over.

Mike: Thanks! I wish the fountain had been a bit cleaner looking :-)

Ruth: Thanks! Yes, I love seeing the birds begin to show up just in time for the October bird count that NW Nature Nut is doing :-)

John Theberge said...

I love the shots of the birds drinking at the fountain, very cute.

RamblingWoods2.com said...

I had to get out and clean the birdbaths and feeders..My least favorite job..You have some great photos here. I have only seen one house finch pair this summer..and no eye disease which I am happy about..