Well....since the "Star" is still on strike or vacation I'll tell a story that happened a couple years ago. Unfortunately I have no photos of the ending of the story.
I'll call it "A Tale of Two Characters"
"These were the best of times, these were the worst of times".....oh...wrong story.
It starts with the squirrel.....finding the dish feeder hanging in the dogwood tree.
Yummy!....if you brace yourself well, you can eat from anywhere!
Finally he settled on the dish.....tail hanging down.
Right below in the hostas I suddenly realized that I saw an eye......just below the violet. My grey cat, Mouse had been sleeping in the hostas. Now one eye is awake.....
2 eyes and a little nose are now angled upwards!.....watching, waiting....
You can see that my cheeky little "Star" is going out of his way to taunt Mouse! You probably have to click on the photo to see Mouse peering up at that tail....waving.
*
*
Well....as you can guess, the squirrel finally noticed Mouse, did a final tail flip and leaped right over Mouse's head and ran across the driveway and up a bigger tree! Mouse didn't even get in motion! The ending was too fast to photograph and I was laughing too much.
Poor Mouse!
19 comments:
What a wonderful story this is; and so well told. I was afraid for a moment it had a different ending :-( for as you had said you had no pictures of the last part. I am so happy that it had a, "happily ever after ending", after all!! Happy Squirrel Sunday!
And I forgot to mention, wonderful pictures of Mouse!! as well as great pictures of the Star too!
ann
Ann: It really was funny watching it unfold. I don't think Mouse really knew what to do, but she really would love to catch "that squirrel" some day! Of course the squirrel is so fast and agile that it totally ignores the cats. I'm suprised it didn't just leap onto the roof.
I enjoy your squirrel stories. Theya re fun to photograph. You can always catch such fun expressions.
Good story! The squirrels here, not sure if it was Mama Squirrel or not, but one used to get right outside the fence and sit and tease the dogs!
What a delightful story. I think Mouse has been this route before and knows it's useless. It would make a great childrens novel!
About my orchids. They don't grow in soil. Wonderful! They grow in bark chips. They don't like to be wet ( which can be very helpful if you forget to water), and they like cool evenings. Perfect for some windowsills, or my greenhouse that has a cement floor.
They actually aren't all that hard to grow. The flower rewards are well worth it. Some of my hanging ones have long roots that reach way out over the edge of the pots.
I loved this little tale of a tail! How funny. Squirrels act like they are all intent on just one thing but they are pretty savvy. Wonderful shots. We have cats and an occasional forest squirrel.
Very interesting.Squirrels have also given us many a laugh.
Thank you for my squirrel fix. I now can get on with my day.
Especially loved this story, tho I'm sorry Mouse's dignity was dented.
Love it as always!! In a way I feel sorry for Mouse!! Poor thing!! LOL!!
Love the squirrel Sunday posts Mary, I'm sure squirrels egg cats on somehow, they wait to the very last minute before leaping out of the way.
Cute! Mouse sure wants to get that squirrel I bet!
--JB
LOL - Loving it - especially the last one!
Cheers, Klaus
SHOOT I was hoping mouse got a peice of squirrel... :D thats just too cool and funny! love the photos to go with!
Around here the squirrel always beats the cat. My two older cats don't even try. Mouse is the youngest and that day was probably the closest she has ever gotten!
LOL! This was great. The photos were perfect with the story. Love that last shot. Whew! is what I see in its face. :-D
2sweetnsaxy: Well....personally I think he was taunting Mouse :-) He's pretty fearless.
amazing story and photos :D
The pictures of the cats head are so great!
Oh I enjoyed this a lot. I blew the photo up and sure enough look at the cat watching. Fun story. Wish you would have had the cameras rolling for that finale, ha.
Post a Comment