Last week I went with family to visit our new Amazonia exhibit at the Mesker Park Zoo and I realized that there were several very "ruby" things to see :-)
No idea what these plants are but they were exotic and gorgeous looking.
These are more familiar......and very red!
I could have watched this lovely bird for hours.....Red Crested Cardinal. It wouldn't come out of the trees where I could see it any better.
That red head really stands out!
It had a lovely nest....no red.....but still beautiful :-)
Scarlet Ibis were everywhere.
A very glorious red!
The Spoonbills aren't as red, but much more fun to watch. They were balancing on a vine and having a hard time of it.
At least when they would lose their balance, I got to see their wings better! With the red plants below, there was a nice lot of red to see!
For more Ruby Tuesday posts, click on the link on my side bar. Thank you to Mary the Teach for hosting this site.
I'll be posting some non-red photos below, because I know my mother-in-law is dying to see what Amazonia looked like! It was a beautiful place!
25 comments:
Wonderful! I' gotta see that bird!!!
Helen: They were all so lovely!
I'm "red"y for more!! hahaha!
Eve: Groan! It is a neat place. I know some people don't like zoos, but I love them. I see so much I wouldn't see anywhere else.
Those are beautiful photos. Zoos are so much better than they used to be. This is nice.
Marnie
Love the shots - this Cardinal is a hoot - so is the Rosy! :)
Cheers, Klaus
Great pictures. This park is beautiful. Take care.
Hi Mary
That Cardinal is quite something, does it in fact come from the Amazon part of the world do you know? Great post!
Marnie: Yes, zoos are pretty spectacular any more and very humane. They also are used for breeding programs and don't just grab animals from the wild and exploit them.
Klaus: Of course you probably see the spoonbill all the time and I know your photos of it and the ibis are wonderful!
Grandma Faith: Thanks for stopping by!
Jenny: Looked it up...they live in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uraguay and have been introduced to Hawaii and Puerto Rico. It was a lovely bird!
What a wonderful series of photos! I'm glad you posted them all too. Looks like a great place.
Beautiful pictures! I love the red plants and the cardinal.
Very nice collection Mary.
Those are some beautiful pictures. Love the shades.
What amazing birds those are: Red crested Cardinal, Red Ibis! etc. Very beautiful choices for Ruby Tuesday!! I love them.
Great reds! That ibis was definitely a jaw dropper. Wow!
That looks like a great place to visit. Love all the ruby things!
--JB
Love your red choices ! That Cardinal is awesome!
Happy RT.
Oh, these were perfect for Ruby Tuesday!! LOVE that red crested cardinal! WOW!!
Thank you everyone! I wish that cardinal would spread more. The back of the Peterson bird guide says it has bred in Florida, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. It is on the "exotics" page.
Oh dear!! I missed this one too and it is such a beautiful one!! Sorry Mary, but rather late than never. Those Ibis are beautiful, we have them here too. Maybe they are the same ones!! Maybe they leave there in winter and come over to us for our summer!! Never thought of that before.
Joan: Could be, although I doubt the ones in the zoo move around much :-) I love zoos...where else can you visit South America, Africa and Australia in the same day??? I'll get to the giraffes, zebras and such later.
That cardinal seems very popular. I do wish that they were outside the zoo and not in....preferable at my bird feeder!
Those are so very cool looking!!! Just love these photos.
Oh neat looking birds....
A few questions - where is that red-crested cardinal from? He's beautiful! (OOOps - that's from the previous post - still, I want to know)
And that over-exposed butterfly is a buckeye - aren't they just beautiful?
You just get better and better with your camera, Mary!
Ooh now that’s a nest after my own heart! Nests simply fascinate me!
Post a Comment