Thursday, September 4, 2008

Over-dosed on hummingbirds....

OK....I put the "leftovers" back in the fridge temporarily. Sometimes you just suddenly get the urge to over-dose on something you love. This little hummingbird showed up today and posed for a long time! For once my camera was taking perfect shots with great focus and color.

I like watching them sit almost more then hovering. You can study them so much better, looking at every feather and detail!

They twist and turn and fan their tails and flick their tongues.

When they aren't busy chasing away their competitors, they actually take time to drink some nectar.

After eating when they sit down they always flick their tongue in and out a few times. His eyelid is closed, too! I saw that several times today in these pictures.

This hummer has one little perfect "jewel" of ruby red at his throat!
I've never seen such a small single spot....like a beautiful gem that kept catching the light.

They look so funny when they do this!! I have no idea what it means!

It sat around with its mouth open a lot.

I'd swear that it looks like its singing or laughing! He's got his eye closed again.
OK.......I can't help it.....they just fascinate me and they won't be here too much longer.

18 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Oh what fabulous shots! He looks like he's saying...take all the pics you want :)

These are one of my favorite birds! You captured him wonderfully!

Mary said...

Kerri: Thanks! I probably took 50 at least, so it's a wonder I narrowed it down to these :-)

Becky said...

My goodness, you really hit the jack-pot! What an amazing run of pictures. I've never seen hummers do any of these things, and that red spot. It's like a small spotlight. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Can you send a few Hummers over here Mary.

NW Nature Nut said...

Isn't it great when they sit still long enough that you can get some good photos? Those are great!

Jenny said...

Fabulous photos Mary. I can hear the enjoyment you got from it in your words. Thanks for sharing that with us. (-:

Mary said...

Becky: That feeder hangs right outside the windows by the front door. He sits very close "guarding" it. So he was only about 5 feet or less from me and I can really study him through the lens of the camera. They can be so funny when they sit there. That one tiny red spot was really catching the light right...it was so strange looking! I thought it was a female until I saw that little spot.

Roy: I wish I could send you some! You will just have to plan a trip to the states some year when prices are better :-)

NW Nature Nut: Yeah...I love studying them.

Jenny: I did get pretty excited that I was getting decent pictures and he just wanted to sit there forever. He is back today still guarding that feeder.

EG CameraGirl said...

That hummingbird was not the least bit afraid of your presence. WOW! Great shots.

Cicero Sings said...

Lovely pictures of those hummers! We had a couple in our yard this year ... they would visit the fountain early in the morning. I didn't put out a hummingbird feeder ... though I have one. Maybe next year I'll resurrect it ... now that I've looked at all your pictures.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Wow, that one with the tongue out is a terrific capture Mary. Altogether a wonderful series of pictures. Ours never seem to sit still for one moment so I have never been able to take a picture of them.

kjpweb said...

Wow! Most excellent! A great set you're showing! Bravo!
Cheers, Klaus

The Birdlady said...

Oh, you got some fantastic shots! The tongue and the open mouth are too, too wonderful!

me ann my camera said...

I agree with you. The last photo is a hoot! I think its maybe sharing a joke.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone!

2sweetnsaxy said...

These are perfect shots. Isn't it great when you get absolutely no problems for the camera and you feel some things are just meant to be snapped?

abbey meadows said...

Wonderful shots. We don't get birds that exotic in our garden unfortunately.

Mike said...

All stunning shots Mary, still really jealous here.. ;)

DeniseinVA said...

Oh wow, just beautiful shots. Never seen a hummingbird's tongue before. Those are really neat photographs.