Monday, September 15, 2008

Home birds.....2nd post today

Well.....the home birds are not going to wait for me to get done posting vacation, so you may get some double posts. Another one of those cowbird young that is changing color found the birdbath.
Looks like he had a refreshing time!

The young finches are suddenly showing up more.

They are molting, too.

My little hummer looks so fat......getting ready for the trip south?

Like a cute little round ball sitting there!

A warbler stopped by! I got out the bird book, but there are pages full of "confusing Fall warblers" listed......OK....they are right.....I'm confused. I only got one picture before he took off.

17 comments:

Becky said...

I think my hummers have gone. I haven't seen any in about a week now.
That one sure does look fat!.
I've seen plenty of young finches here too, and they will stay all winter.
Happy Monday.

Mike said...

Cracking hummer shot Mary.

Mary said...

Becky: My hummers are going crazy out there today. Last food before heading south,maybe. My finches stay all year, too.

Mike: Good thing hummers are so small, or that one might get mistaken for a Butterball Turkey :-)

sketched out said...

Holy cow, those are some adorable lil finches and hummers! I am in constant amazement of your pics!

Mary said...

Sketched out: Well, I'm in constant amazement at your sketches, so that makes us even :-) Thank you!

Cicero Sings said...

The birds just begged to be watched don't they?! We can hardly tear ourselves away sometimes ... but there are things that NEED to get done! Darn old responsibilities anyway!

NW Nature Nut said...

That looks like a fun place and you saw some great wildlife and flowers.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is definitely the fattest hummingbird I have seen Mary. LOL!! Seems like someone is feeding him well!!

John Theberge said...

Loved both posts today, very nice.

The Birdlady said...

Mary, that is one fat hummer! Great shots.....Very nice warbler image too...

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! I keep hoping that someone will tell me which warbler it is. I see so few warblers, I am not good at identifying them. I couldn't decide if the hummmer was really that fat or just puffing up because it was cool outside. Sure makes it look cute :-)

me ann my camera said...

Wow Mary, CONGRATULATIONS on having a warbler visit!! An old, favourite Chinese proverb of mine says, "If you keep a green bough in your heart, the singing bird will , and its a great one too.come".... and it did.

This is a first winter Magnolia Warbler! Isn't it beautiful?! How lucky you were to get its picture
ann

Emily said...

oh my! those soggy bird shots at the top are so cute!

Mary said...

Ann: I'm glad you identified it for me and am really excited to check off a new bird on my bird list! All of the "confusing fall warblers" in my book looked so much alike, I gave up. Wish he had showed me his tail...that would have helped.

Emily: Isnt' he cute? I love watching them play in the water.

Kerri Farley said...

Your bird shots are awesome. Love the warbler!!

Mary said...

Kerri: I was very excited when Ann told me it's a Magnolia Warbler, which I have never seen before! A lifer!

2sweetnsaxy said...

These are wonderful but those wet bird shots take the cake.
:-)