Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dueling Hummers.....post 2 for today, trains below

I felt like there should be banjos playing in the background. Usually when the hummers get territorial, they chase each other all over the place, but these 2 decided to face off with the feeder in between them making it easy to take some photos! They went around and around it and up and down.
High and low.......I got to see some flared tails which I usually don't catch when they hover or sit.

"If I'm drinking it must be mine!"


OK.....we'll both drink! That didn't last long, before they both started chasing again!

One of my hummers appears to be the little guy that had only one ruby at this throat, but now he has 2! Maybe it's like carving notches on your gun....you get a new ruby when you outlast your opponent :-)

The Titmouse just ignores them and drinks from the cup every chance he gets. I've never gotten both him and the hummer at the same time before, so I had to add this.
All of the birds seem to know fall and winter are coming and are really flocking to the feeder all of a sudden. I suppose some are passing through like that Warbler from yesterday.

20 comments:

Roses and Lilacs said...

Great photos of the two combatants. I haven't seen any around here in about a week. Off to warmer places. I wish them all a safe journey.
Marnie

me ann my camera said...

Mary, I think all the male Hummingbirds have left your area too as I only see white throats. Great pictures and I see they are engaged in what my husband calls, "hummingbird wars". Great action pictures.

And congratulations on that beautiful, first winter Magnolia Warbler that dropped by to visit in your yard!

Mary said...

Marnie: thanks...ours will stick around for a while yet.

Ann: I only see very young males. I knew you would identify that warbler for me! I saw several in the book that looked like it and just couldn't figure it out. That makes it a lifer for me....I've never seen one before! It is nothing like the adult pictures!

me ann my camera said...

Mary, my reference is, The Sibley's Guide to Birds,(2000), (p.433) by David Alley Sibley. The pale gray neckband was an immediate give away in both your picture and the bird guidebook. And you're right about the difference in the adult Magnolias for they all are shown with bold, black lines on their sides. Congrats on finding a lifer!

kjpweb said...

Oh that it precious! And the Warbler shot is great!
Cheers, Klaus

Mary said...

Ann: I could barely see that neckband until you mentioned it. I wish I had a picture of the tail, which would give more clues, but he only paused long enough for one shot. I'm going to look for that Sibley guide.

DeniseinVA said...

Those are such cool photographs Mary. You did a great job taking them. Very enjoyable.

Mary said...

Denise: thank you! They posed very nicely for me.

abb said...

Wonderful! I'm so envious of your hummers!
Love the wars!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Beautiful blog today again Mary. I love the bit about the notches...sound like the wild, wild west. LOL!!

John Theberge said...

Hummers are fun to watch, they're so territorial. I'm still working on the flower book. I just started photographing asters last weekend which are the last flowers to bloom around this area. I should be finishing up pretty soon and I'll make the announcement on the blog.

The Birdlady said...

Your diligence payed off! I've never gotten a shot of two drinking at the same time - in fact, I've only observed it twice. Good or you, and thanks for sharing.

Anne på Moseplassen said...

ooo - great pics :D
Hummingbirds are fun, thanks for your diligence :)

Mary said...

Annie: Thanks....they will be leaving in another month. Right now I'm probably getting ones that have already fled the north.

Joan: Thanks...It is interesting to see so little red on his throat.

John: Oh, good! We're all waiting for it!

Helen: Thanks...I got lucky. They usually chase each other up high in the trees and all around the house.

Kingsdowner said...

Great shots - the titmouse gives a good comparison on the hummers' size.

Mary said...

Kingsdowner: Yes, the Hummer is about half the size of a Titmouse...3" vs. 6". That is why you have to be so close to get decent photos.

Kerri Farley said...

This is the second "dueling hummer" post I've seen today. How neat!! You've captured them wonderfully!

Mary said...

Kerri: It is the first time I've ever managed to catch them doing it.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I can really appreciate these shots. When I've seen them do this they've moved too fast for me to capture them. Great job!!!

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: They usually frustrate me terribly by taking off just about the time I'm getting ready to click, so I was thrilled to have them stay in one place to do their facing off.