Saturday, October 2, 2010

Predator and possible prey.....

OK....here is the hawk from my header. Don't know what kind it is ..... Coopers?
This was one of those lucky moments. I was sitting by the sliding glass doors and had them open when he landed on the tree right next to the deck! So I got these shots without any glass between us. When he started staring at me, I was a little concerned he might decide to fly in! Never could see much of his tail because of the leaves.
Staring

This is my favorite shot for some reason. I like how he is staring out and the light is hitting him.

Good neck shot if that helps anyone identify him for me.

Oooh.....that stare is a bit scary! I'm glad that I'm not on his dinner list!
I was going to make a header from this one and put "Read this blog....or else!" LOL
Makes me think of the old "Uncle Sam wants YOU!" posters.

A few minutes later I went out the front door and this little House Sparrow was sitting on the rim of the fountain.
It didn't even fly away when I walked up to it! It looks pretty "downy" on the back. Young or sick or both. I even wondered if it had flown into the door and stunned itself, but I don't think so.
Perfect opportunity for photos! It let me walk all around it standing about 2' away.

His sweet little face. I know....I know....I'm the one always complaining about the "brat pack" eating me out of house and home! I have at least 24 young sparrows. Why is it they can hatch more babies successfully than any of the other birds? How many broods do they have a year?!
A little male....with his changing bib.
Later I saw him peck a few seeds in the drive and then lay down on the warm stones and just lie there. A perfect place to become a hawk's next meal, unfortunately! I wanted to tell him to get up and fly away, before it was too late!

15 comments:

Mike said...

Stunning shots Mary, the hawks eye is perfect. Mike.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Amazing hawk shots.

Mary said...

Mike: Thanks! I'll never get lucky enough to have one so close and no glass again. I'm glad I got a few decent shots. I do wish he wouldn't use my feeding area as a stalking ground, however.

Ruth: Thanks! They are amazing birds.

Dorothy said...

Wonderful shots of your hawk!!!! I have no idea what kind it is. You were lucky to get those shots and the ones of the sparrow, too.

Anonymous said...

Super shots of the Hawk Mary and it does make a great new header.

Anonymous said...

THE REASON WHY THERE ARE SO MANY SPARROWS, NOT ENOUGH HAWKS AND KESTRELS ABOUT TO KEEP THEM IN CHECK.
NICE SHOTS. FIRST TIME IN 6 DAYS I HAVE GOT PROPER INTERNET I AM IN PORT SAID TODAY.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I had a sparrow hit our sliding door/window yesterday.. He was stunned ---but I left him alone --and he finally flew away... Hope your little sparrow is okay -and wasn't dinner for the hawk....

Great pictures of the hawk--but I don't want to see them near my feeders.
Hugs,
Betsy

grammie g said...

Hi Mary ...How wonderful was that!!
The Hawk photos are so great!!
I have to agree with Betsy...I don't want him near my feeders!!

sebi_2569 said...

superb; bravo

Leanne said...

Great hawk shots. I think I like the bottom one the best. I wish my windows were clean enough to fool a bird to fly into them LOL.

George said...

Your pictures of the hawk are stunning.

Becky said...

Don't you just hate it when you spot these sick little beings? I try to just look away and try not to imagine what might be looming around the next tree.
You did get some super shots of that hawk.
B.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh WOW Mary!! Two stunning photo ops and you made good use of them. That hawk is fantastic!! I wonder if the little sparrow was sick? Poor thing!!

Andy said...

Raptors are a very interesting bird. Great photos.

Rose said...

Oh, Mary, that one with the light hitting the hawk is my favorite, too. It is fabulous.