Thursday, October 14, 2010

Is it still a wetlands.....if it isn't wet?

I went to my favorite place...Howell Wetlands on Monday, and it isn't looking very wet.
I was so depressed that I didn't stay long or take many photos. This is the large creek area where I often take photos of ducks, geese, turtles on logs, etc. All of those logs you see are usually underwater. By this time of year this part of the creek is usually full of Canada Geese and visiting ducks. The duckweed is usually gone and I take photos of the leaves reflecting on the water.....not this year.
The other edge. The water usually covers this entire area over to that green grass and even in the grass.

The smaller creek running along the edge of the woods appears to be totally dried up! What will the birds and animals do?

Looking the opposite way....the small creek bed meeting the larger part of the creek. I usually see migrating warblers in this area. I didn't see many birds at all on Monday.

The slough and marsh areas still have water....but it is very low. It normally would be on both sides of this boardwalk where the ducks are siting in the shade.

Looking at the meadow was less depressing. A skipper. I was surprised to see quite a few butterflies still around....skippers, Buckeyes, Sulphurs, and Cabbage Whites mostly. I'm not sure they ever leave.
Some pretty oak leaves.
I probably won't go back to the wetlands for awhile. It is too sad right now. We had a tiny drizzle of rain yesterday...didn't even soak the ground. We are in drought conditions and I keep hoping the rains will come soon.
Pray for rain for the Ohio River valley area and southern Indiana!

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Good Morning, Mary! Mississippi is very dry, also. After no rain for about 5 or six weeks, we did get about 1/4 inch of rain a couple of days ago. We need lots more of it. We still have a good many butterflies and skippers here.

Jenn Jilks said...

We're living in the middle of a wetland. You are welcome to visit! Despite some soft frosts we still have mosquitoes! :-)

Cheers from Cottage Country !

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh that IS depressing Mary!! Yet, other people are saying how much rain they are getting.

Thats a lovely skipper.

George said...

It sounds as if your drought is even worse than ours. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back for a while. I hope we all get some rain soon.

Becky said...

Wow that is a dry stream bed. I would send you some rain if I could.
Love the oak leaves. A favorite.
B.