Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Birds at home....

It's so nice to see my yard birds returning. I see something new each day that hasn't been around for awhile. Considering the "unfriendly" neighbor below..... .....I'm surprised that I have any birds at all! I assumed this was the hawk that is in my header, but if you notice that one has yellow eyes....juvenile....while this one has a red eye...adult. Just what I need....TWO hawks stalking my home birds! I believe they are Cooper's Hawks.
He swooped right over the car as I drove in the driveway and landed in the oak tree. I had my camera in the car, so I just put the window down and took a few shots.

He decided if I was going to sit there in the car, that he would go try somewhere else and flew off towards the woods.

And....since coming back from Iowa, a Mockingbird has shown up and is trying to claim the entire deck feeding area as "his". I hope he has cleared that with the hawk, or he might find it is not a good idea to chase everyone else away when there is a hawk in the neighborhood!

"Hawk?.....where?.....did you say there's a hawk out here??"

Out front on the sedum, a last Monarch butterfly came to visit. It looked so new and perfect, I figure it must have recently hatched out.

Not a tear or tatter to be seen. It had better head south!
I haven't gotten a good photo yet, but this Yellow Rumped Warbler is hanging around.

The House Sparrow pack is still around, but it seems like there are fewer of them.....hmmmmm....maybe that hawk has found a few meals at my house. They seem to be a bit more cautious as they flit from bush to bush.

The Chickadee still insists on drinking out of the ant guard if I leave water in it....which I do :-)

"Is this all there is?"
It's nice to have the birds around again. I have seen several Blue Jays, but they haven't posed for a photo yet. I saw a White Crowned Sparrow out front the other day...no photo there either.

8 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am sure the hawks could be a problem Mary but hopefully they will leave your birds alone and go somewhere else to feed. Love the buterflies.

Mike said...

I would love to see an hawk like that Mary, but I suppose its better have more variety around the place, lovely set of shots. Mike.

Dorothy said...

Mary, you have some pretty 'home birds'! Hope the hawk doesn't run your other birds away!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great that your birdies are there to welcome you home. Love the mockingbird pictures... BUT-hope the hawk moves FAR AWAY.

Love that Yellow Rumped Warbler.... I think I have them around here --but confuse them with finches....

Great pictures of the butterflies also.. Ours seem to be gone now.

Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

How did you get to be so lucky as to have TWO hawks in your neighborhood? I hope they don't find any eating at your feeders.

Smalltown RN said...

those are lovely photos..your chickadee's are larger than ours here....isn't it wonderful being able to just look out on your property and see nature at it's finest!

Mary said...

Joan: I would think with the crops in that the hawks would be stalking the fields for mice, but maybe these prefer tasty well fed birds.

Mike: I was thrilled to see it like this from the standpoint of photographer, but I may lose all my other birds if it hangs around!

Dorothy: I hope so too!

Betsy: I love seeing any sort of warbler and hope it comes back. I've seen it twice but always in a bad place for a photo.

George: Would you like to have one of them???

Smalltown RN: I'm still debating which type I have, but think this is a Black-Capped Chickadee. I thought you had the same sort out there. Maybe it just looks big in my photo :-)

Anonymous said...

Thats a beautiful Monarch Mary, just perfect condition.
I hope the Hawks don't hang around too long.