Sunday, June 21, 2009

This and That.....

OK.....it's Sunday and here is a squirrel :-)Mike took this one day. They haven't been very active.....just eating all the seeds.
A catbird that I just happen to see land.

Checked on the eagle briefly.....I can see the parent and the back of one young but they weren't doing anything.
It was so hot and humid I was having trouble breathing and just wanted to go back home. Our weather right now is Indiana's worst kind.

The heron nests are very active with a lot of wing flapping and such going on.

Heron everywhere.

This looks like a crowded area.
We've got Vacation Bible School at church every night this next week, so I may not feel like blogging much. Too hot to do anything.
I went to an outdoor quilt show yesterday and will try to get that up in my quilt blog soon for the quilt lovers.

14 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Is that the young squirrel Mary? It does not look like Star. Yes, I am sure there must be a lot of activity as the chicks learn to spread their wings. Wonderful pics!!

winterwren said...

Thanks for braving the heat to bring an Eagle and Heron update Mary. I empathise with you over the heat. I think I would flag too. It makes my glad that, on the whole, we don't get weather extremes over here. I've been noticing the temps on Eve's blog down there in Alabama! PHEW! I think when I eventually get to visit her it will NOT be in the summer! (-:

Mary said...

Joan:I think it is one of the young squirrels. They get out early in the morning and I usually don't have seed filled up yet. I think Star would be too fat to sit on that feeder :-)

Jenny: We don't have a lot of bad weather here, but July and August can be pretty bad. We don't get to the high extremes...100's...but the humidity is awful and most people here have allergy problems as well (me). I've become addicted to air-conditioning over the years :-)

Kathy W said...

Wow thats what I call a lot of heron in one tree. I have never heard of a catbird before.
Its horrible hot here in Oklahoma also. Heat index this week will be around 105 for most of the week.

abb said...

I can't believe the difference in the weather all over the USA! Here it is the first day of summer and we're 65 degrees! So unusual for this time of year!
Glad you included Mr. Squirrel. Wouldn't feel right without at least one Sunday photo.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That weather sounds somewhat like ours.We don't have the high humidity,but it's waaaay to hot for me.The Heron nests alway amuse me.
Blessings,Ruth

Kelly said...

...wonderful photos...always love the eagles and herons. Stay cool and have fun teaching VBS next week!

Rose said...

I sure know what you mean about it being too hot to breath...we went to Little Nashville Friday and it was not even enjoyable.

I always smile when I think about the herons up in their nests...looks like they would be so awkward.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, There was a quilt show here yesterday.. You should have been here!!!!!

Great pictures on a hot, humid day. It's pretty miserable here also. We NEVER turn the AC on until August --but this year we turned it on for the weekend. Yuk!!!

I'm surprised that those tree limbs can hold all of those Herons...

Have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! The heat is zapping my brain power and I just don't feel like doing anything much.

Kathy: You should have Catbirds in Oklahoma...they are related to mockingbirds. 105? I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

Annie: 65? I think I will book passage to Connecticut.

Ruth: Heat is just so depressing. The heron nests are really something. I do wish there was a way to get closer.

Kelly: thanks!

Rose: Too bad the heat ruined the Nashville trip. I think I'm ready to go buy a kid's swimming pool and fall into it.

Betsy: I can't imagine not having your AC on until August! I would have expected Tennessee to be as hot as it is here. I turn mine on as early as April...I REALLY hate heat.

Becky said...

Glad you posted squirrels again. I just love them, and all those Herons. I don't know how they all stay in those unstable looking nests. Lots of Catbirds here. They have several songs I've found.
Stay cool. I don't like hot weather! We're heading out early tomorrow morning for 4 days of train watching in central Penna. I'll be blogging from there.
B.

Mary said...

Becky: Look forward to your trains...have a good time.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat look at the birds, thanks for sharing their growth.

Shelley said...

Always love your squirrel photos! Glad to hear the updates on the eagles and herons!