While waiting and hoping the eagle or herons might do something exciting, I started looking at the really wild roadside where we park and all the plants there. It gave me a chance to practice my macro some, although I seem to have trouble with getting the hang of it on the new camera.
Before I get to the plants, this huge turtle was lazing on a log in the area where the herons were trying to fish. Does anyone know if a snapping turtle can bring down a full size heron? I don't think I'd want to stalk around in the water near this guy!
Just one of the "weeds" on the roadside, but up close the little spines and such were sort of fascinating. I can't tell if those are bugs in it or part of the plant.
Tiny blue flowers and tiny white flowers. (very scientific :-)
wild onion or something in that family
I liked all their twists and turns. See the one that looks like a pretzel?
Don't know what this is, but it was interesting.
These were very pretty....Crown-vetch.
This plant makes me think of rhubarb....maybe a wild relative?
These tall yellow ones were mixed in with the crown-vetch.....with a couple of bee friends.
More of the yellow plants.
A different yellow flower. It would have been interesting to have a count of all the different plants that were growing in this area! It is just packed with stuff and the low trees/bushes are getting tall enough along the water to make it harder for a short person like me to shoot over some of it towards the herons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
What a lovely variety Mary. You do get a wild rhubarb here which is not edible. Maybe this one is the same.
...that is a nice variety of plants. I love those little yellow flowers that remind me of buttercups. I see a lot of them here too.
Love the shot of the turtle. You get some awesome shots of turtles. Thats some decent shots of those weeds. I have been seeing a lot of watermelon vine weeds lately. They have some of the prettiest flowers on them.
Wow Mary I can't believe how big the herons and eaglets are! Love the roadside flowers. I have that silly onion thing coming up everywhere in my gardens. I just keep pulling and pulling!
I have always thought that one plant reminded me of rhubarb. I don't know what it is though.
Great images Mary. Lovely variety of plants and loved the turtle shot too.
I truely enjoyed the plant and flower photos.I am in agreement on the 'scientific' names.Many of the plants I see go by color name only.Guess I need to study a bit more.
Blessings,Ruth
Just wandered over from Joan at SA Photographs. What a lovely array of nature shots. I also love my garden birds.
Great variety of flowers and plants Mary. I can't help you with any IDs though, sorry to say. You're like me, when you can't snap the bird, you look at what else is around! (-:
Your flowers look much like ours. Maybe we are finally catching up to you.
I don't know about that Snapper. I do kow they will take baby ducks. They're nasty.
B.
Mary, That is a HUGE turtle... Wooo---you grow 'em big up there!!!! ha
Isn't it interesting how all of these 'weeds' and wildflowers have been around for years and years---and I've just taken them all for granted.
Beautiful pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy
Post a Comment