I'm putting the last few photos from our trip in this post so I can move on to things here at home again.
I had to take one shot of Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. My father got a 2 year engineering/surveyor degree from there in the early 1920's. He later finished up at George Washington University in D.C. He often talked about his years there and wrote about them in the book he wrote for us kids.
These steps lead up to the cemeteries and nature walk that now exist at the Ridges, which was the Athens State Asylum for the Insane at one time. We had time to kill before going to the quilt show across the street, so we climbed the stairs to hike a bit. If you look up Ridges in Athens, Ohio on the Internet you find all sorts of stuff about the grounds and cemeteries being haunted and scary stuff about what the Insane Asylum used to be like (probably not much different from any other Insane Asylum of that decade). I searched for mention of it in my dad's book and came up with the following:
"On the opposite side of the Hocking River was the Athens State Asylum for the Insane. The standard joke was that it was hard to tell the two institutional groups apart. We did spend a lot of our leisure time in hiking over on the Asylum grounds. We also would go over at night and sneak into the free movies for the inmates. Many of the inmates were quite harmless and were allowed to roam freely even on our side of the river. We even got to know some of them on a personal sort of basis. There was "Crazy Mary" who was musically inclined and would wander around trying to sing in a hoarse screechy voice while waving a stick to conduct her imaginary choir. Then there was old "Fine and Dandy". He was always happy and when the students would greet him and inquire as to how things were going his invariable answer was, "Fine and Dandy, boys, just fine and dandy". he was genuinely missed when he passed away."
The nature trail leads through the cemeteries or around them and across some meadows. We didn't hike the whole way. We saw a deer go bounding across one end of the cemetery and I saw many birds up in the trees around the edges.
The stones are numbered rather than having names.
Many shell-shocked war veterans ended up here. This grave was for a Spanish American War veteran.
A web on the grass.
A flower I didn't recognize. (Verbascum?)
A Waxwing high in a tree.
Earlier that morning, we hiked at Marie J. desonier State Nature Preserve, which took us longer to find than the time we spent hiking it! It was a beautiful serene place with an easy trail to walk.
We could hear birds all around us, but I could never seem to locate them to take photos.
One pretty moth....not very well photographed.
I liked the way the grasses looked along the stream bed here.
Mike took this shot of a wren on the bridge railing.
I cannot remember where this covered bridge was. I think we saw it while looking for quilt barns in the Athens area while heading out of town.
Very nice, but it looked rather new....perhaps rebuilt.
A nice view as you exit. It had no windows to look down on the river below.
Our last stop of the trip was at the Smith-Berry Winery.
Mike liked it enough to buy a couple bottles to bring home :-)
I liked their lovely garden area....and very friendly red dog.
A view of the sitting area under the flowering vines.
Close up of the flowers.
This is out of order. This statue was in Zanesville at the Visitors Center. It honors an artist who had lived there....Karl Kappes and is created by another local artist known for his bronzes.....Alan Cottrill....who has a studio in the city.
"On the opposite side of the Hocking River was the Athens State Asylum for the Insane. The standard joke was that it was hard to tell the two institutional groups apart. We did spend a lot of our leisure time in hiking over on the Asylum grounds. We also would go over at night and sneak into the free movies for the inmates. Many of the inmates were quite harmless and were allowed to roam freely even on our side of the river. We even got to know some of them on a personal sort of basis. There was "Crazy Mary" who was musically inclined and would wander around trying to sing in a hoarse screechy voice while waving a stick to conduct her imaginary choir. Then there was old "Fine and Dandy". He was always happy and when the students would greet him and inquire as to how things were going his invariable answer was, "Fine and Dandy, boys, just fine and dandy". he was genuinely missed when he passed away."
Earlier that morning, we hiked at Marie J. desonier State Nature Preserve, which took us longer to find than the time we spent hiking it! It was a beautiful serene place with an easy trail to walk.
I cannot remember where this covered bridge was. I think we saw it while looking for quilt barns in the Athens area while heading out of town.
Our last stop of the trip was at the Smith-Berry Winery.
That is all of Ohio for this trip. I saw so many small towns that looked interesting and lovely scenery everywhere.....just not enough time on this trip to see or do it all. I hope we go back sometime.
15 comments:
A wonderful pictorial Mary. You dad sounds as if he knew some real interesting people. :)
Very lovely area, I love those steps going up through the forest.
That was a great tour of some very interesting places.Your pictures tell a wonderful story.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth
Is there a list somewhere of all the people buried in that cemetery? Be interesting to see.
...a beautiful post! I'm heading up to Hocking Hills in July. i really liked the passage you posted from your dad's book. I hope you post more of his work. Wonderful photos. I'll be sure to check it out when I'm there.
Beautiful pictures! I like the covered bridge. Know you had an enjoyable trip!
Great post Mary. I loved that passage from your Dads book. What is his book about if I may ask? Is it a type of diary? I like the look of that Nature Preserve you went to. Isn't it frustrating when the birds don't co-operate! (-:
Annie: One web site says that some of the records are gone. I doubt that anyone knows who is in all of the graves.
Those who asked about my dad's book. He wrote his life story for us up to the point when we were born. He was born in 1904 so he lived through a lot of history and saw many changes in his life. He also, covers bits of Ohio history as he knew it. It is interesting to read what he wrote about growing up on a farm in Ohio in the early part of the last century. He also tells about the early automobiles and airplanes...two of his loves...besides describing his years of school and work as an engineer building roads and airports all over the country. I'm very fortunate that he wrote all of it down. We have always planned to get it actually made into a book rather then just a typewritten manuscript, but haven't done it yet. I think that everyone should write their story for their children and grandchildren. I've used bits from it on two other occasions...one in this blog and one in my other blog.
Thanks for taking us along on your trip. I enjoyed reading about your Dad's adventures. I grew up near a State Hospital, and there were some wild stories there too.
B.
Mary, Interesting story about that state hospital. There was one east of my hometown---and we called it the "insane asylum" also... The cemetery must have been sad ---to see those numbers.
Beautiful walk though ----and I loved that covered bridge. No waterfalls, huh????? ha
Hugs,
Betsy
Great post Mary with some lovely photos. Thanks for taking us along. A x
I like the view taken from inside the bridge...and love the one looking down the path/road. But oh, the numbered headstone makes me feel so sad.
Mary: What wonderful photos from your trip. You sure have an eye for interesting detail.
I remember being taken on a tour of the old State Hospital in Indianapolis for some class I was in. It was so depressing and when they locked doors behind us on wards I just wanted to run screaming in the other direction. I'm glad that times have changed for mentally ill people and that the hospitals have changed also. The numbered graves were apparently to protect the families from the stigma of having someone mentally ill in the family and also the confidentiality of the patient. If you read some of the reasons for declaring someone mentally ill in those days, you would cringe and wonder if it was the Dark Ages! I guess it was in a way.
Thanks for the tour of the Athens area. My late wife was a graduate of Ohio University ad it was nice to revisit some of the places we'd seen before.
Post a Comment