Friday, June 19, 2009

Flowers and birds at home and on the roadside.....

It's Day Lily season! Some people call them "ditch lilies", but I just call them beautiful! You can see that they stretch for hundreds of yards along the highway. This is just one mass I pass a lot with a good spot to stop. I could photograph a zillion more all over the county.
They grow by the hundreds and last for several weeks. I wish they would never end, but I'm sure the mowing crews are glad to have them gone. Sometimes they whack them down....sacrilege!

These are some of mine at home....they seem a bit more reddish. I have some reddish varieties, but I don't think they are blooming yet.
My favorite are these double/triple petaled ones. I only had one blooming when I took this, but will photograph more later.

This is a different type that I only have 1 plant. I need to move it to a sunnier spot.

The library has huge beds of these golden colored ones....

....as well as these yellow ones!

A close up of the yellows.
Several weeks ago Jenny asked me if we had the single-petaled pink roses. Well, I just spotted some in two places along the road this week!

Another favorite of mine right now are the pea flowers that line the road in places. I would love to have some, but forget to stop and get some seeds when the pods come on.

My tiny little Day Flowers are blooming and swarming all over my unruly flowerbed. Something is really chewing up the leaves and they look pretty bad.
While out shopping, I spotted this Killdeer and another in a parking lot.

This may be why I am not seeing a lot of birds at the moment.....
....hawk? cats?......I tell myself that it is just a few feathers and the bird survived. Don't tell me otherwise. I don't want to know.

Ozma swears that it was not her....she just watches.

A Blue Jay pecking around in the sunflower seeds.

Dove....one of several that stop by most days. I never see baby doves, but we seem to have plenty.
The downy trying the pole again.
The White-Breasted Nuthatch has not been around much, so I was thrilled to see it.

We thought this was a nest from last year in the garage.....until I touched that yellow towel and a wren came flying out at me. I'm not sure who was most startled....her or me!

Thought I would show the local crops....winter wheat nice and golden.

We had so much spring rain that much of the corn went in very late. I don't think this will be "knee high by the 4th of July".
I've gotten behind because of my Ohio posts, but hope to catch up this weekend. We went to Hartman Arboretum yesterday to look for butterflies and bugs....Mike picked blueberries there....and I have to check the eagle and heron rookery!

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! I loved that sea of orange that popped up when I opened your blog. I love these tiger lillies that grow wild!! Glad you have an active wren nest...and it is good to have the nuthatches back. I guess they were busy on nests earlier...

Dorothy said...

Great pictures! I love to see those daylilies growing wild!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Those lilies are fantastic Mary. The make a beautiful show along the road. How nice of the wren to build her nest there. I find that birds like that seem to come back every year.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love those 'ditch' lilies, Mary.. The more---the merrier.

Your birds are similar to mine. (note my blog today)... Bet you don't have Brown Thrashers eating your suet???? ha ha

We had a bird's nest in our garage once also. Bet that wren did startle you...

Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Those Lilies are beautiful Mary, I have never seen anything like them. Great new header image.

Jenny said...

How wonderful to have that amazing splash of colour along the roads. I love that triple petalled one...a lovely apricot orange. Thanks for showing the single rose. It looks quite different to ours I think. I'll have to get some photos as they're out in the hedgerows now. Lovely soft pink colour! Chris and I are going to grow Sweet Peas up a wigwam next year. We were a bit late thinking about it for this year. Ozma does look very innocent I must say! (-:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

How beautiful to have the daylilies growing wild!You Day Lilies look amazing.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

I love Day Lillies too. Ours don't bloom till the 4th of July here, and there seems to be lots of them this year. Love all your flowers and birds, and of course Ozma looks like she doesn't have a care in the world.
B.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone.....lilies are so pretty. Many people here have the Asiatic type, too, and I've been seeing pretty pinks and whites. If I had any sunny flowerbeds, I would plant more. However, as hot and humid as it is right now, I'll keep my shade and enjoy someone else's lilies.

Arija said...

You do take some wonderful nature photos!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat bird and flower show.

Rose said...

Those lilies you call beautiful...I call them Roadside Lilies. And those day lilies are sure pretty also.