Thursday, June 4, 2009

I held a hummingbird in my hand.....

.....tiny precious little jewel
.....a miracle with wings...


Today was a day I won't forget. I held a hummingbird. We went to Rural King to buy some birdseed. As I approached the front doors, I looked down and there almost under my feet was a little hummingbird. People were walking by....standing around....I don't know why it didn't get stepped on! I scooped it up in my hand and held it gently while looking at it in wonder. Mike got the camera from the car and took these two photos....I wish he had taken a dozen more! I didn't know what to do with it or why it was sitting there, but I knew I had to do something to get it away from all the people. We got back in the car and it just sat calmly in my hand for the whole ride home.....about 3 miles. When we got home I took down one of the hummingbird feeders and dripped some food into a shallow dish to see if it would eat. It sat there but didn't eat anything. It liked sitting on my hand and got back on my finger. The feeder was a tube type and I slipped it over the end of the bird's beak to let it make contact with the red fluid inside. I think I saw its throat moving. It flashed its tongue around a few times when I removed the feeder......but it still sat there. I stroked it very gently and waited trying to decide what to do. A few minutes later, just as our son walked out the door, the bird flew upward and landed on the house just above the door....not very far, but at least it flew and clung to the wood there! Then while deciding what to do next and planning to get my camera again, it suddenly flew up into a tree nearby! Yeah! It can fly! All I can guess is that it flew into the building and was very badly stunned or something. I'm so thankful it didn't get stepped on!
Later I went outside to fill another bird feeder and suddenly a hummingbird flew out of the tree right to me and then away. Maybe it was saying "thanks".....maybe it was saying, "take me back to Rural King"......I'll never know!
Hummingbird follow up information....

29 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

What a delightful post Mary, especially as it had a happy ending. You were that little Hummingbird's Guardian Angel.

Kerri Farley said...

OH Mary....what a fabulous post! This makes me so happy!
I am so glad you saved the hummingbird!

Shelley said...

I can only imagine what a marvelous feeling it was to hold that little angel in your hands! Glad it was okay!!

Dorothy said...

Mary, that's a wonderful story! I know it must have been exciting because I know I felt so blessed to hold those Cardinals. I'm glad it perked up and flew away. It won't take him long to fly back 'home'.

kayerj said...

what a wonderful experience!

me ann my camera said...

RY< What a wonderful chance encounter for both you and the bird!
The pictures are great as is your story wnding with what seems like a happy wnding. Thanks for sharing.

A Friendly Reader Only said...

How precious - What a wonderful miracle you experienced today!!
I am sure you will see your friend many times again!! :}

Eve said...

I know Mary...it was a gift just for you! A gift for someone with a big heart! And actually for us too, because you shared it!
Thank you!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! I'm glad it had a happy ending, too. I was really worried about it when it let me carry it home sitting on my hand in the car. I was just deciding to take it to the local nature center and ask them what to do, when it finally flew off of my hand. I had seen it move its wings a few times but not make any effort to get airborne. I was worried that one foot might be hurt, too, but it clung to our house OK.

George said...

How very neat! I'm glad the hummingbird was apparently okay. I am glad you at least got a couple of pictures.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh WOW,what a wonderful experience you have had.Thanks for sharing it with me.
Blessings,Ruth

Kathy W said...

Mary that is the sweetest story. I am so glad the little bird was okay. We are forever having birds fly into our picture glass front window. We have gotten to where we dont open the curtains and it seemed to stop them from crashing into the window. I love those pictures.

Carletta said...

Such a heart-warming story Mary!
I've been away from blogland for awhile (grandbabies) and stopped by to say hi. You're still putting out great posts. :)

Cicero Sings said...

Ahhhh ... what a neat story ... what a neat opportunity to hold such a precious bundle of feathers.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Mary, how wonderful.... I could go a lifetime without having a hummingbird in my hand. You probably saved his life. I hope he does well---and continues to visit you!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Lindy said...

Truly an experience you will never forget. You were where you were supposed to be and at the right time. What a wonderful blessing! Glad you and Mike had the camera and were able to capture the event.

2sweetnsaxy said...

What an experience that must have been. I'm so glad you got photos of it and I'm so glad that it was able to fly away. You did a wonderful thing. I like to think it was the same bird that flew by and said thank you. What a great story.
:-)

Rajesh said...

Very beautiful. You may be the first person to see it slow closely.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh Mary, what a wonderful, unforgetable experience this must have been. Now you know how I feel when something crawls around on me. There are no proper words to describe the feeling.

Kingsdowner said...

You've made a friend for life now :-}

I expect that every time you see a hummingbird, you'll wonder if it's that one. Lovely story.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic thing to be able to do Mary. Lovely.

Jill of All Trades said...

What a wonderful story. Had a similar, actually my mother, many years ago when she pried one out of our cats mouth. It was not hurt by the cat but stunned. It sat in her hand for a bit and then just flew. Amazing birds. LOVE your blog. Thanks. Carla

Maria Berg said...

I found my way here through kathy.
It is nice withanimals, and to hold one litel in the hand- It good it could fly.

I took a photo when I was in Bolivia.

/Maria Berg, Sweden

Becky said...

What a wonderful, wonderful experience. Mary. I'm sure this bird was put there just for you to find, and what a good thing you appeared when you did. You certainly saved it's life.
The closest I've ever come is one landed on my feeder last week as I was hanging it back on the pole. Something I'll never forget.
Maybe you should send your story to Birds and Blooms magazine. They would love to hear from you.
B.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That was a neat story and amazing that you could save the hummer.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your posts in reverse order, Mary - it looks like you instinctively did the right thing!

Ebie said...

Hi Mary, came to your blog through Kathy's talking about this tiny creature sure made her day. I am glad that she was able to fly on her own.

sandy said...

Wow Mary, catching up here and came to this post...wonderful that she flew away and glad you were there to help her get better. Beautiful photos. I've enjoyed catching up here, as usual.

abb said...

Oh Mary, it's been too long since I've visited! I hate it when work gets in the way of my blog visiting! What a wonderful wonderful experience for you - and for that hummer that surely would have been stepped on if you hadn't spotted him/her. So glad your hubby at least got the two photos.