Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Muggy and Buggy part 1......Bugs and Blossoms

We went to Howell wetlands the other afternoon and while it was very "muggy" for walking around, the meadow is starting to have lots of flowers and there were many bees and bugs hanging around. Yellows
Yellow with bee. (Not a bee. Eve says this is a fly...cool! I just looked it up....a Hoverfly, possibly Virginia Hoverfly?)

I thought this was an odd looking bee....very large and black. Seems like I saw them last year but have already forgotten what they are called. (Carpenter Bee?)
I remember them because of the spot on the forehead of the male (?)....I think.

These white flowers seem to twist and turn when necessary.
....but normally stand upright.

These bees were very interested in them and flew around each stalk, checking each flower.
Gave me a lot of pracitice on the macro...which I need.

Mating bugs of some sort on a different white flower (another one of my really scientific sentences :-)
A bent purple blossom

Pink daisy-like plants.
I watched this female Blue Dasher laying her eggs.....took a video which I might post later.

Blue Dasher male
Eastern Pondhawk male
I believe the one in front is a Slaty Skimmer and the other is the Blue Dasher.
Milkweed starting to bloom with a milkweed bug on it.
I didn't see the patch of milkweed that I photographed last year with all the butterflies. Hope I can find some more than this one plant this year.
I love these orange flowers everytime I see them! So colorful and bright! A Sulphur peeping over the top. (Butterfly Weed)
Ok....I looked in my butterfly book.....Pearl Crescentspot? My best guess.

Just a vine twisting around the grass.
Tomorrow, I have geese and ducks and turtles and a couple birds from this walk.

20 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You did an excellent job on these Mary. Love them all. :)

Eve said...

Great job Mary! I think that first "bee" is actually a type of fly. I did a post on one a LONG time ago...they are tricksters aren't they! I love your blue dasher! I miss seeing that one.

Anonymous said...

Muggy and buggy, but you got some great shots Mary.

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks! I knew you like me posting bugs.

Eve: Thanks for telling me that. I really didn't know what it was and they look so much like bees!

Roy: Thanks....I don't like the humid weather, but the bugs obviously do :-)

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely pictures Mary. I especially like the daisy type flowers.

Excuse my ignorance but what does the macro do?! A x

Mary said...

Anne: In my hands the macro doesn't do much of anything :-) LOL! The macro setting is for extreme close ups and details. I do just as well most of the time without it. I don't have a true macro lens...just a setting. In some of the blogs you will see very close-up amazing details of bugs eyes and such...that is macro done right!

Rose said...

I have a couple pics of the yellow flowers to post in a day or two...but I like yours better, specially the one with hoverfly. I like the composition of it. Do you ever notice how we post a lot of similiar things? Lots of times yours are a few days earlier, specially in the spring.

I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get a dragonfly...

Dorothy said...

Nice shots! I guess wetlands are a good place for muggy and buggy! I would like to have a real Macro lens, because I dearly love close ups.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: I knew Joan would love this post and I thought it was really neat.

The Birdlady said...

Hi Mary - this was a cool post -

Jenny said...

Great macro shots Mary. Its fun to photograph those bugs sometimes. I too love that vivid orange flower. I wonder what it is? And that pure white flower that curls sometimes. I'd love to have that in my garden, is it some type of Lupin maybe?

Mary said...

Jenny: The orange flower is Butterfly Weed. I think Eve told me that last year, but I'm a slow learner. The white does have a lupin look, but I'm not sure. I don't know lupins. I'm never sure if people will read my answer here or not. Feel free to email me anytime.

Mary said...

Rose: I do notice we see similar things....we really aren't that far apart in Indiana and will have to do something about meeting this year!

Dorothy: This camera has 2 macro settings and I'm always trying to use the wrong one.

Tom and Helen: thank you!

George said...

It seems to me that you don't need much practice with macros -- these are just wonderful. I would say you made great use of a muggy, buggy day!

Kelly said...

...I love your bugs and flowers!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I have enjoyed all the flowers and bugs.I also like the 'scientific'names.This is my kind of science.:)
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Trying to catch up, Mary!!!! You saw some beautiful flowers and bugs/bees there. I love that bright orange one.

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Becky said...

What a beautiful and interesting post Mary. Your colors are just beautiful and so bright.
Great macro shots too.
I see a tiny spider at the base of that Milkweed blossom. Did you see it?
B.

sandy said...

wowee, great bug shots! love them.

Leedra said...

I also love the orange butterfly weed. I have been hinting for my husband to get me some. We have so many friends that would gladly give us some out of their fields. We had some at our previous house, but somehow failed to bring some with us. The orange is so pretty around here right now out in the fields and the edges of the road. Hopefully helping the butterflies multiple.

Enjoyed all of these photos.