Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Eagle information from our newspaper....

According to the Evansville Courier and Press, there are two chicks in the eagle's nest that I've been watching. Quoting the paper: "At six weeks, they are nearly as large as their parents; at eight weeks they begin to stretch their wings. These chicks appear to be covered with black juvenile feathers, which would make them six or seven weeks old. These feathers are necessary for the first flight, which takes place about 10 to 13 weeks after hatching." The paper had a nice photo, but my scanner isn't working at the moment and I didn't find it at their on-line site.
My first photo of what I thought was a chick was on May 5, so that seems to agree with their estimate. Looks like I have a few weeks to wait yet for flight shots!

5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That's neat Mary that the newspaper ran an article on the eagles. So many newspapers only report BAD news. I'm impressed.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

It sure take a long time for them to get ready to fly!! Have patience and I know you will be rewarded.

George said...

It's nice that you got confirmation of your observations from the newspaper! I look forward to seeing more pictures of the chicks.

Kelly said...

...that's wonderful. I can't wait to watch them grow up. Eagles are so gorgeous....

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Lovely info Mary. I am looking forward to those first flight pictures.