This is part 2 of the walk at Howell Wetlands that I started yesterday.
The two little brown ducks I saw several weeks ago, are still there and turning into large pale brown ducks. I believe these are "Manky" Mallard ducks.....non-pure mixtures. I learned that neat term from Annie last year and it always sticks in my mind when I see the 4 Manky's who live there and now these 2 new ones. If they are really something else, I have no idea what!
I think their feathers are rather lovely. I have no idea where they came from and they don't hang out with the other 4 Manky's.
Look at those chest feathers and the sides.....pretty!
The turtle logs have fewer turtles and they are all covered in green duckweed.
This one looks like it is growing moss :-)
A tiny little green one that didn't slip into the water.
One big guy only half covered.
At least 3 families of the Canada geese seem to be staying around and I saw evidence that someone is leaving corn for them....against the rules. I always think of them as "she" as they groom themselves.
When the weather is muggy, and the air is getting buggy,
And the pond is getting very, very green...
It's easy to be spotting, the dragonflies a-dotting,
Little eggs all over the scene.
8 comments:
Love your shots Mary. We used to raise Duckweed and sell it to the local aquarium. They couldn't get any. That was years ago.
I still like to see goose pictures too.
How cool to see the dragonfly laying eggs. That's a new one for me.
B.
Hi Mary, Gee I cannot believe those turtles are covered in moss. Weird!!!!!
Great pictures. You DID have a wonderful time, didn't you????
Are there lots of mosquitos up there?? I'd be covered with bug spray!!! ha
Hugs,
Betsy
Very pretty pictures Mary and a great video. A x
You capture the most interesting photos.Those 'moss' covered turtles made me laugh.
Blessings,Ruth
Becky: Why did they want duckweed?? It is fun watching the dragonflies, but they move so fast most of the time.
Betsy: I seem to have noticed more bugs then usual this year. I'm not usually bothered by them too much.
Anne: Thanks!
Ruth: I guess as slow as a turtle moves, that moss wouldn't be out of the question :-)
Thanks for another Muggy and Buggy post. I agree that the Manky Mallards have beautiful feathers. The green-covered turtles were were cute.
Mary: That was a neat capture of the ducks, they do have a Mallard shape.
Loved your dragonfly video.
Love the 2nd turtle photo.
Post a Comment