(UPDATE: BugGuide.net says they are stinkbugs)
I have no idea what these are but they hatched on the outside of my patio doors. Each one is only the size of the head of a pin! The entire colony is about a half inch in diameter. I can't believe how tiny they are. I watched them all day waiting to see if they grew or moved away or did anything. If they are still there in the morning, I will add an update to this post.
I think this is the most "macro" thing I have ever photographed!


This one is from the inside of the house looking at their undersides.
I wish I knew what they are! I looked up Ladybugs, but their eggs are yellow.
When I went to bed, they were all hanging together underneath of the empty eggs.
I wish I knew what they are! I looked up Ladybugs, but their eggs are yellow.
When I went to bed, they were all hanging together underneath of the empty eggs.
23 comments:
Oh WOW!! You did really good with these Mary!! They look like ladybird or stinkbug eggs to me. :)
Great shots! They don't look like ladybugs, I wonder whether they are goodies or baddies?
I've tried to look them up. Stinkbug eggs is a possibility.
And ladybug larvae are black. I have no idea, but I applaud the supermacro.
This is very interesting,I wil be waiting to see more pictures.
Blessings,Ruth
You're definitely getting to grips with the macro Mary! (-: At this stage they're rather sweet looking things. I do wonder what they'll grow into tho!
Mary- Extremely cool.
Tom
By afternoon, they had all dispersed outward and upward on the door. I lost track of them at the top.
...holy moly! what are those creepy crawly little things? How cool!! Great photos...
Mary: Definetly not a Stink Bug, I would guess a Leaf Beetle.
Neat macro - they look like a science experiment!
oo-er! I don't really like bugs. Great shots though Mary. A x
I had to see if anyone knows...I am clueless.
Makes me itch! Curious to find out what they are.
That's a great macro Mary, keep them coming.
I wish that I could find one of them as they must be growing, but I still don't know what they are.
Awe Shucks, Mary... We may not ever find out what they were. Makes me chill just thinking about them.... If you find them under your pillow, don't scream too loud.... ha ha
Hugs,
Betsy
That would make me nervous Mary! Just send the picture to www.bugguide.net and they will have an answer for you. They have a place called ID request (something like that) I have never been let down in finding an answer. They are just great!
What do you call those roly-poly bugs....wait I'm going to go look it up...Isopod, Pillbug, Sow Bug. Maybe the eggs of that bug? Tried to find a photo of their eggs but couldn't.
I'm very impressed with your macro shooting, Mary!
As long as they are on the OUTSIDE of the door, I won't panic :-) I would love to know how they grew, but once they decided to move they all scattered towards the top of the glass door and then disappeared. I tried looking at eggs for stinkbugs, ladybugs, June bugs, leaf beetles,....nothing definite. Probably will never know what they were. Will try Bugguide when I get time.
I got so far behind Mary, I'll never get caught up.
Those certainly are interesting looking bugs, and you've done a marvelous job of photographing them
B.
BugGuide.net says they are Stinkbugs.
Wow, this is cool!
Post a Comment