Thursday, June 4, 2009

Howell wetlands is full of life.....

Each visit to the wetlands at this time of year usually brings something new to see.I'm beginning to see a few dragonflies.....a Blue Dasher male. I identified this wrong at first because I didn't look it up and just tried to remember from last year. (Thanks, Tom....I should have known I'd get the two blue ones mixed up without checking first :-)
This one looks like he is doing an act on the balance beam.....I give him 10 points!

Big fat bee on the clover.

The goose families are at all stages of growth and I'm always happy to see them.

It is interesting to watch the young ones begin to look and act like the adults.

A grooming lesson
A critic
We startled one family that had been sleeping in the shade along the creek and they hurried into the water.
Some Starlings(?) bathing
A Grackle with a big stick...wonder where he is going with it.
A Red-Bellied woodpecker was high on this tree and has a mouthful of something.

Mike got this shot with 3 butterflies in it...can you find them? One is showing its edge.

I got in some close-up practice on this yellow that was very willing to stay in one spot.
side view....
Working his way around the flower
Sucking up the nectar
Peeking over the top like an alien creature from outer space.
We also saw the resident "manky" ducks, a lone female Mallard, a lizard that was too fast for me, a few turtles, smaller bugs, Red-Wing Blackbirds, and swallows. A short walk, but a busy one!

19 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Of coure I LOVE todays post Mary. What a beautiful lot of insects for me. :) Thanks.

Arija said...

A beautiful set of nature shots! Butterflies do love red clover. Love your dragonflies as well.

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary- These habitats are always bounding with life. I think your first dragon is a male blue dasher.

Cheers,

Tom

Dorothy said...

What in interesting trip! I like seeing all the wildlife. Your pictures are great!

Eve said...

Another wonderful walk Mary! I would love to see the excitment on your face when you captured that butterfly! It's so fun when they cooperate!!

Mary said...

Joan: I don't like all the bugs that you do, but butterflies and bees and dragonflies....I like.

Arija: Thanks..it's nice to see the lovely flying things on the flowers finally.

Tom: Thanks! I should have known I'd get the two blues mixed up trying to remember from last year and not looking it up (it was late and I was tired...no excuse :-) I'll have to start posting photos on the side to keep them straight.

Dorothy: Thanks!

Eve: For some reason I find the newer camera harder to take close-ups so it was nice to have a subject sit still for me.

Rose said...

You have the mother lode of photos today! Really great captures...I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get one of a dragonfly.

Shelley said...

I am really becoming more interested in dragonflies - enjoyed your photos! Laughed at your goose critic - it's nice to see the babies and juveniles!!

Becky said...

My goodness what a wonderful walk you had. Love all your pictures.
I hadn't realized till I read your comment to me today, that I misspelled Phlox. That's what you get when you try to multitask! I was posting on my blog and watching the Yankees lose the baseball game. Very frustrating. Thanks Mary.
Wish we had more butterflies.

Lindy said...

The 'critic' made me laugh out loud! All the photos are wonderful but I especially like the ones of the dragonflies. You and Mike had an eventful walk. Oh, I only found one butterfly...still looking....need new glasses!

Jenny said...

Those young geese look so lanky! Funny. (-: Great close up photos of the dragonfly and that yellow butterfly. I've spent soooo much time chasing butterflies that are skittish, it's nice when one sits still for a minute!

Mike said...

Great shots Mary, really like the dragonfly and butterfly shots.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely Mary, a wonderful walk with lots of great nature shots. The butterflies are well camouflaged in your photo there and it was fun finding them. Have a great weekend.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh Mary....wonderful shots! I especially like the last one where he is looking over the top of the flower!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Your insect pictures are fantastic.
Blessings,Ruth

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, That dragonfly seems to be dancing for you!!!!!

Those baby geese grow up so fast, don't they??? Do Mom and Dad have several broods each year---or just one????

The butterflies are gorgeous also. You got alot of great photos.

Hugs,
Betsy

2sweetnsaxy said...

I always enjoy yours series of photos. These are great and full of such character. I love it! :-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Wonderful series of photos to see the wonder of nature.

abb said...

Love the butterfly on the clover.