Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hollyhock love.....

Something a little different. Next to a church downtown where I went to a quilt show last Saturday is a small house with a small yard.....but it is filled with Hollyhocks! Gorgeous! Made me want to run home and plant some, but I don't have a nice fence for them to grow next to......sigh.










Sure shows that you don't have to have a huge yard and a landscaper to have a lot of beauty around you!

19 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Such a plain and simple flower but so pretty!!

kayerj said...

I love little old homes surrounded by holly hocks. reminds me of my grandmother. lovely pictures

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Oh, I love hollyhocks!! My neighbor has a beautiful patch of various colors and it is a sight to behold! Don't they just make you happy when you see them. They are one flower that's so old fashioned and not seen much! Very nice shots!

abb said...

I forgot all about hollyhocks! What a beautiful reminder here. They really are full of old fashioned beauty. Lovely photos, Mary.

Dorothy said...

Just gorgeous! These remind me of my childhood. We always had Hollyhocks in our yard.

Cicero Sings said...

Hollyhocks are so beautiful. We could never grow them at the coast as they would get the rust from all the rain so I forgot about them ... but maybe, just maybe they'd grow up here. Thanks for the memory jog.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The simple Hollyhock is so beautiful.I love the various colors you have shown.
Blessings,Ruth

Shelley said...

Very pretty!!!

Jenny said...

Jumping Hollyhocks! There's ALOT of them. What a lovely sight! I love the way they deepen in colour towards the centre.

George said...

You're right -- you don't need a large lot to have beautiful flowers. These hollyhocks are gorgeous. They make me wish fences were allowed where we live.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How pretty. My mother used to have Hollyhawks --but we've never had them. My best friend has some blooming in her yard also. They are SO pretty. I like all of the colors.

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Hello everyone! Heading home tomorrow. We didn't have a good wifi connection last night, so I didn't get on the computer at all. Good thing I set some post up before I left. I'm surprised a bit by how many of us like this lovely old-fashioned flowers and associate them with our childhoods. I had never seen so many colors as this person had in their yard. I guess a fence is not necessary, but they are so tall that having them against something for some support is needed if there is much wind and rain.

Leedra said...

I did plant hollyhock seeds this spring. A whole pack. One has decided to come up, and it is barely an inch high.

Becky said...

They are so beautiful Mary. I love them too. When I was little, my grandma used to make dancing ladies with big skirts from her Hollyhocks.
B.

Lindy said...

Makes me remember my mom and the little 'dolls' she used to make for me out of hollyhock flowers. Very pretty, Mary!

Rose said...

I am so behind on blogging...I barely get a post made. I just have to take time to tell you I LOVE all these hollyhocks!

Eve said...

I LOVE Hollyhocks Mary. I left mine in NY! They were just starting to take hold!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers Mary, thanks for posting them.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Those are neat flower captures of the big bloom.