Friday, June 5, 2009

Birds at Blue Grass fish and wildlife area.....

We hadn't been to Blue Grass stripper pit area for awhile, so we drove out to see what was around. I saw more birds then usual, even if not unusual ones. I know the birds are there in the meadows and wooded areas....somewhere.A Great Blue Heron was stalking "hip high" in one of the lakes and was so intent that it did not fly away when we stopped to shoot a couple photos through the car window.
It was a really pretty one and I wondered if it belonged to the rookery, even though this is about 15 miles away.

Another heron on another lake. There are a total of 28 pits and lakes here.


An "armada" of geese swimming across the largest of the lakes.

Lots of thistles in bloom and this Goldfinch was checking them out.
A Red-Wing Blackbird surveying his domain.

Not sure what this was....perhaps the Robin that was telling everyone we were there.
I'm not sure what this bird is....my first guess was a female Indigo Bunting but the beak looks like a Grosbeak....maybe the 1st winter Blue Grosbeak?? I've never seen one.

...and this looks like it might be a male Blue Grosbeak, although it is such a bad shot, I can only tell it is blue and has rust on the wing area.

Dove in the clover
Killdeer in the cornfield
This one is for fun....I would swear that this lotus leaf shadow looks just like a bird! Totally unintentional and didn't see it until I had it on the computer :-)

13 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I LOVE the shot of the goldfinch in the thistle! And that last shot is absolutely amazing! I thought it was a bird before I read what you wrote. How neat!!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

What great heron shots Mary and the one in the thistles.

Dorothy said...

Hi Mary,
Great shots! Jeep and I got a kick out of your green Lotus Bird! ☺ I was waiting to see what kind of bird it was.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I thought that last picture was of a big black bird too, Mary.. Perfect leaf!!!

Love your Herons and of course I have a thing for the Mourning Doves.

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great pictures and yes,it does look like a bird.Interesting.
Blessings,Ruth

2sweetnsaxy said...

Looks like you had a really good photo day. Great shots as usual. At first glance I thought the shadow of that lotus was a bird too.
:-)

Jenny said...

Love that leaf in the last photo. It does look like the shape of a phoebe or something like that! Looks like a great place to visit. How far is that from you?

Mary said...

Thank you everyone! Blue Grass is a great place to visit and watch birds. One area is totally off limits to water fowl hunters so they can nest. I've seen a lot of great things there. The lakes are popular with fishermen, so I don't see as much water fowl as I would hope considering the number of lakes.

Jenny: One of these days, I'm going to post a little map that shows all the places that I talk about. I always have to consult Mike about distances :-) I tend to think in terms of "how long does it take to drive there"....about 20 minutes from our house. We live NW of Evansville and Blue Grass is NE in a fairly straight shot. Maybe 15 miles?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That was a really neat series of photos. You got some really good bird captures.

George said...

You got great pictures as usual. The shadow in the last picture does look like a bird. Good capture.

Cicero Sings said...

That shadow of the lotus leaf DOES look like a bird! Neat.

Rose said...

Fantastic captures...I love the heron ones.

abb said...

Thistles are so beautiful, and considered bad to have...Love that last photo of the water lily.