Thursday, November 20, 2008

Wetlands dying down for winter....

This is my first fall to visit the wetlands and I'm looking forward to seeing what winter brings in the way of changes. I'm amazed at how low the water suddenly is on one side. These 2 killdeer are in an area that was covered with water all summer! I still keep wondering if they are draining parts of this on purpose for the work they are doing on building a nature center. There is still water further out and that is where all the ducks and geese were on this day.
The path through the woods is so bare now!

Taking a bite?

I was trying to catch all the little bugs swarming in the air....not too successfully, but I really didn't know how to get the camera to even see them! I was walking with my mouth tightly closed, for sure!

Attractive bark

One of several galls of some sort on this tree.....at least I think it is a gall. I brought it home with me and intended to look it up :-)

One lone leaf catching the sun.


Some of the geese are now way back in the creek area where there is more water and probably more food.

The trees are so bare! I'm glad I don't have to rake leaves here :-)
I kept wondering if I spread them all out, how many different tree species would be represented.

Some lichen on a fallen tree. Not a lot of color these days.

I can see several different types of oak leaves here....again, I wonder how many.

One glorious low oak that still has its color.
The sunlight in the meadow area is the brightest part now and very welcome after the grey of the woods. I have a feeling I'll learn some new things from the wetlands this winter and next spring. Can't wait! I hope they get their building done before the birds arrive to nest next spring. I don't like all the intrusion on the wildness.

20 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

It is interesting to see how an area changes with the seasons.Isn't that what we all need to do?I must admit that I am sometimes reluctant to change with the seasons of my life,but that always leads to frustration.
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

I keep wanting to get down that way...maybe we will one of these days. At least I will get to see what you see...in the warmer weather do you see very many people there?

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

These are wonderful colors Mary. Fall can be beautiful too. I am glad you did not get a mouthful of insects. LOL!!

Carletta said...

Wonderful fall photos!
I just love the leaf catching the sun - gorgeous!

Mary said...

Ruth: Change isn't easy for most of us. I don't think we notice so much until one day we say..."wait a minute, I'm getting old, when did that happen???"

Rose: I do hope you get down here some day and we can meet...or I need to go up there or we can meet half way in between :-) I try to go to the wetlands during the day when the kids are in school and people are working. I don't see a lot of people usually and worry that might change when they get this learning center built. This last trip there were two dog walkers in the woods area. I see more dog walkers than anything. Overall, I usually have the place pretty much to myself on most of my visits. One time the entire cross country team of one of the schools came bounding by on the woods boardwalk, with little room to spare!

Joan: There isn't much color left but I found what I could! Yuck..bugs in mouth not good :-(

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots. There's color here depending on where you go. Most times the lack of color is because it's dried out from lack of rain and we pray for no more fires because it's just fuel waiting to go.

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: I'm sorry that you live in such fear of fire all the time. It must be terrible to have to think about that. I'll pray for rain for your area.

Jenny said...

Looks like a fabulous place to visit regularly Mary. The colours of the grass and trees in that last shot are just lovely.

Mary said...

Carletta: Don't know how your comment sneaked in unnoticed! Thanks! The leaf was at a great height to stand and get the sun in the right spot.

Jenny: It is a nice place and I'd never been there until this past spring....shame on me! Now I go at least twice a week or more :-) I've probably posted more photos from there than any place else except my own yard!

Becky said...

Georgeous walk Mary. I would love to have that weather here. We're buried in that white stuff, and more coming!

Eve said...

Just wonderful Mary! That lone leaf in the sun should be framed!!

Mary said...

Becky: We had a few flurries today, but they only lasted a very short time and it's too warm for anything to stick.

Eve: Thanks, I liked that one, too :-)

abb said...

No matter what the season, there's always beauty...and comedy! Love the "taking a bite"! Made me laugh!

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Mary, thanks for taking us on your walk. You have the greatest nature photographs on your blog. Just love visiting. Have a great weekend.

Mary said...

Annie: Thanks :-)

Denise: Thank you. I hope it does't get so cold and nasty that I don't want to take walks any more.

simply divina said...

Looks like shenandoah valley in virginia, so nice.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: what beatiful captures of your wlak. I liked the biting tree the best, how funny.

Mary said...

Simply Divina: I've grown to really like this wetland for walks and photos.

Fishing Guy: I think his "bite" was released when the top half of the tree broke off :-)

Mike said...

Amazing post Mary, great collection of shots, I just love that tree thats taking a bite definitely need some eyes sticking on it.

Mary said...

Mike: Yes, that would look pretty funny :-)