Friday, November 21, 2008

Skywatch Friday....

So what do you do when the train comes?......point the camera at the sky and take photos for Skywatch Friday, of course! I cross this railroad crossing every time I go to town, so I very often sit at this track and watch the train go by. With a camera in hand, it is more bearable!
Clouds over the tracks.....

...... Graffiti....

.....interesting empty cars.....

.....fall leaves and more skies....
Well, eventually I get to pass. On the way to town I also pass a farm with some baby calves that I've always wanted a photo of. However it is right on a dangerous curve and no where to pull over. I got lucky the other day and there wasn't a car in sight in either direction......

...so I got at least a couple shots before I got too nervous stopped on the road with a camera distracting me from traffic.

There are 3 of the young ones in the field and I wish I could have gotten photos when they were smaller. I really enjoy driving by this farm with its small herd of cows on the hill.
For more Skywatch photos click on the icon on my sidebar. Thanks to all the great team who host that very popular site. Look at your sky! Even if you have to sit at a train stop to do it!

28 comments:

Janet said...

Haha, I take pictures while waiting for the train to go by too!

Gemma Mira Wiseman aka Pamela Adams said...

Lovely selection of interesting shots of your world!

Mary said...

Rambling Round: It's one way to avoid frustration at the delay!

Greyscale Territory: Thanks!

Janet said...

Hi Mary, Thanks for letting me know about the missing comments section on my butterfly blog. It is fixed now, so come on back!

Becky said...

I can't think of a better past time than getting held up by a train..LOL, but then again you know us.
Anyhow I'd like to put your skies on my wish list. We have MORE snow!NO blue skies.
Have a great Friday.
B

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

Ha! Have camera, will shoot!

Love the train shots, and the calf. Must be careful on those curves.

Rose said...

I love looking at the graffiti on trains! I wondered if I was the only one...by the way, check out my blog...I gave you an award.

Unknown said...

How cool! Good job, I will always love trains............

Jan said...

Mary, my first time visiting your blog. You are very creative, and I enjoyed browsing around. I really like your photos and post.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Man, you sound just like me. I've done that a couple of times, stopped to take a photo when there were no cars around. :-D I always feel like I got away with something. :-)

2sweetnsaxy said...

BTW - Love the photo in the header. It looks like the duck is looking at it's reflection in the water. :-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That was a neat capture of the sky over the train.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

wonderful set of photos I love them all specially the babies :)

Mary said...

Becky: I knew you would like the trains :-)

Rottlady: I know...I worried the whole time I was shooting at the cows!

Rose: I love train grafitti..even when I can't figure it out. Sure makes a train stop more interesting.

Darla: Thanks!

Jan: Stop by any time!

2sweet: Photographers live dangerously :-)

Fishing Guy: Thanks!

Laura: Thanks!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Great photos and lots of variety;)
Marnie

Connie T. said...

Taking pictures is way more fun than counting train cars. Nice pictures. Love the cows.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: FYI; The dragonfly on Wednesday was an Female Autumn Meadowhawk. They used to be called a
Yellow-legged Meadowhawk.

Mckay K said...

An interesting day brought you lovely shots. Thanks!

me ann my camera said...

Mary, it sounds like you enjoying driving around as much as I do. Yours sounds like an interesting drive. As a kid we lived on the other sides of the tracks and sometimes when a train came in we could not leave our yard until it left. I often pass a field with horses in it and some day will stop and take some pictures as youd id of thsoe sweet cows. Your weather still looks good there and ours is too except our temperatures today are below freezing.

Yes, the bird I posted today, the Northern Shrike, eats other birds and although it looks rather sweet in appearance, don't let its looks deceive you.

And although we do not yet have snow, I am just going out for a drive to see if I can find Snow Buntings in a community nearby.

Mary said...

Marnie, Connie and McKay: Thanks!

Fishing Guy: Glad to know what it was and will look it up on the net for more photos.

Ann:It's getting colder here every day, but still pretty otherwise. Hope you find your Snow Buntings!

Eve said...

Thanks Mary that was fun!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Love the clouds in your photos...very pretty!

Anonymous said...

What a good use for that otherwise "wasted" time. I have got to remember to start carrying my camera when I go out.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I have not been on a train for years and sometimes when they pass like that I wonder where they have been and where they are going to. I think if they could talk they would be able to tell us many interesting tales. Lovely shots Mary.

Mary said...

Eve: Thanks!

Arthur Clan: Thanks for stopping by!

Wren: I finally got in the habit and even take it at night now in case I see a deer :-)

Joan: I would love to take a nice long train journey some day. We may try the Amtrak to Seattle one of these days...we'll see. I think it is a shame they don't use train travel more between closer cities....3-5 hour car journeys. We're always having to drive to St. Louis or Indy to catch planes to save money and it is such a hassle.

abb said...

Lovely - but special thanks for the cow photos - don't get enough of that around here.

Patricia said...

I like the second photo with white clouds and the blue sky...nice shot!
Happy skywatch!!

Mary said...

Annie: I love looking at these little calves and wish I could stop and take better photos.

Patricia: Thanks!