While in Newburgh, we drove up to the hill overlooking the locks and dam.
Some nice fall color on along the path.
Leaves are falling.
As we headed back to the parking lot we became fascinated by this huge tree!
About 6 foot in diameter....
.....very tall.....
......very "warty" with bulges all over!
Twisty, bulgy limbs...
.....some of the warts near the ground.
Large heart shaped leaves and these "flowers"?
As we headed back to the parking lot we became fascinated by this huge tree!
About 6 foot in diameter....
What is this monster tree?? I searched for trees with large heart shaped leaves, but didn't see anything that looked like it. I don't seem to have a tree book....or can't find it, to be more honest.
Any ideas?
Any ideas?
Thanks to Rose, I found a site that shows these same characteristics for a tree called a Royal Paulownia, or Princess Tree! Here is a link to a page with photos: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/pato3035.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/pato.html&usg=__XZV3m7VwG2ZFu8Rr-AHMEmFEghQ=&h=325&w=350&sz=35&hl=en&start=20&um=1&tbnid=nB3eVBwfamI1NM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpaulownia%26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
Good job, Rose on identifying a very strange tree!
11 comments:
Mary, in looking for the answer to what tree this is, I think I just found out one that had puzzled me off and on this summer. I think this is a Paulownia tree...try googling it and then clicking images. On the second page of images listed, in the first row is just a sketch, but when you click on it it goes to a pretty good sight.
For a while, I kept seeing this tree that had leaves like a catalpa but it had purple flowers...but I kept forgetting to look it up when I was home.
So, I got out the National audobon book to look for this, but it didn't have all these images. So decided to google it and what shows up but purple flowered trees! Plus, I really think it is your tree.
Could it be basswood. Look
here.
I don't have any idea what it might be, but I like the configuration of the trunk. I bet it's really old too.
Is it one of those oaks that grow primarily in the south? Sorry, I'm not much help here. Do let me know when you find out!
I was going to say look into Basswood too Mary.
Good job Rose! What an odd tree! It sure matches the photos I found of the pods and leaves! Never heard of one before!
Rose: I found it on a list of Indiana's most unwanted invasive plant pests! Oh, dear...maybe someone should take an ax to it! It is suppose to be covered with purple flowers in the spring.
Mary: Those bumps on the tree are called burls and are wonderful for making bowls and such because of the wonderful wood grain patterens they have. I wouldn't want that neat tree cut down.
Oh, man, I hate that it is an invasive tree. I thought it was pretty.
Whatever the name of it,this tree has character.
Mary said...
Fishing Guy: I would not want it cut down either, but just think of all the seeds it sends out from all those pods...no wonder it is invasive. I love bowls made out of burls and imagine this one would have some great stuff with all those burls....I can see a huge table top from it! We have a couple odd trees by our creek, that if they ever fall down...a possibility...I will have Mike cut them to see what the wood inside looks like. My dad was a woodworker.
Rose: Do you have photos of one with flowers?
Ruth: It was a really interesting tree1
Post a Comment