Wednesday, November 12, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving......L

"Never seen a Lark
Never seen a Loon,
Don't expect a Lyre Bird to wander by soon!
Been to many zoos,
More than I can tell.
You'd think that SOMEWHERE I would see a bird that starts with "L"!!
(I'll dedicate that poem to Steve a.k.a. Kingsdowner, since I was kidding him about seeing both Larks and Loons and I can't find either!)
I wouldn't have thought that "L" would be such a hard letter! I have actually seen Meadowlarks but can't find any photos. They came by every spring when we first moved here.
L is for Lorikete! We saw these at the St. Louis Zoo one year and this is Mike offering food to one. I can't believe this is the only "L" bird that I can find in my photo files! I was hoping to get a Loon block quilted soon and use that.....but too much else to do at the moment.
(Now what on earth am I going to use for "U" when I get to it????)

14 comments:

Eve said...

Ha Ha wonderful poem Mary!! Your right about the L birds...I've seen both a loon and a lark, no pictures though, but a limpkin, or lapwing!!!! I just found them in my guide! Time to start a field trip!!

Eve said...

Oh I forgot longspur!!!

Mary said...

Eve: Obviously I will have to make it a priority to find some "L" birds! I would love to see a Loon...I think they are beautiful whenever someone posts one....but I've never seen any here.

Kingsdowner said...

LoL :-}

Well done Mary

Roses and Lilacs said...

We used to live on a lake we shared with loons. Haven't seen a lark in years.
Marnie

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: That was a cute post with the poem. I'd like to see a Loon and hear its sound.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Love the poem and the photo. Aren't Lorikeets the cutest little colorful birds! :-)

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, those lorikeets are lovely birds. The only U bird I can think of in the USA is Upland Sandpiper, have you seen one of those?

me ann my camera said...

Well Jenny found the same bird to mention that I had found. Not that I really found one, for I read that they are quite rare and are probably in more southerly climes by now anyway. The Upland Sandpiper also goes by the name, Upland Plover.

I was also going to mention that if you want to use a Loon picture, just copy one from my blog anytime.

Let me guess about tomorrow? Mourning Dove? Merganser?

Mary said...

Thank you all! I'm afraid I haven't seen any of those U birds. Mike suggested an "ugly bird", and I may have to resort to that :-) I'm sure I will need to do something creative for that letter.....or skip it in desperation.

Ann: No...to all of those! I used Dove on D and tend to shorten names or use whatever part will work...you'll see. M was easy!

Pernille said...

This is a very cute post. Love those beautiful birds! And this is a wonderful photo! Love the poem too:)

me ann my camera said...

Hmmmm... a Mockingbird I guess :-)

About your question of what I use for my bird suet. Peanut Butter, Cornmeal, Flour, Shortening and a few seeds in the mix too. And I also like your poem too.

Mary said...

Pernille: Thanks!

Ann: Got it! That is similar to how I make bird suet.

Rose said...

Great poem....as for an L bird...you could have had a Large bird or a Lazy bird...