Saturday, November 15, 2008

ABC's of Thanksgiving.....O

O is for Owl
I don't have any really good owl photos, because I don't ever see any owls! This little owl was in the top of the garage one day back in 1999 (before digital camera)
Never could tell what he was and only have 2 photos.
This Barn owl has a damaged wing and is being raised at the Nature Center at Wesselman Park.

This is for Annie.....my Charlie Harper owl print!


My mother-in-law, Bev, used to paint and sell stuff at craft fairs about 30 years ago and I always thought this was one of the best she every painted. I imagine she used a picture in a book for her model. She did a Great Horned Owl on a rough piece of driftwood that is very good too....and I can't find it at the moment (got taken down when we remodeled a room)

For a really cute owl sketch visit here at one of my favorite sketching blogs:
Wise guys


O is for Ostrich!

I went out in the rain to get this photo and they did not feel much like posing!

These are at the local zoo, but we used to have several Ostrich farms in this area. I think they all figured out they weren't making any money selling the meat.

14 comments:

Rose said...

At least you have some pictures of owls...I think you are lucky to have them! It isn't as if we see them every day.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like the Snowy Owl painting,well done.Owls are a challenge to photograph,guess because they are mostly active at night.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, your first owl is an Eastern Screech Owl. What did we do before digital photography??? Wasted lost of film I guess! (-:

me ann my camera said...

I love your owl pictures! I have only seen an Owl three times and have three very poor pictures of those sightings. Your ABC birds is a great idea. Happy Weekend!

Mary said...

Rose: owls are so pretty and interesting. I would love to know where one was that I could check on regularly.

Ruth: She was a pretty good painter when it came to copying stuff.

Jenny: Thank you...you are getting very good at identifying birds for me :-) I thought that might be what he was, but it wasn't a very good photo. He wasn't very big and the ear tufts were obvious. I've got lots of Wren photos for W :-)

Ann: The only reason I got to see that one was because he made the mistake of thinking our garage might make a nice barn to live in :-) It has a very high roof line. I sort of wish he could have stayed :-) I'm having fun with the bird list.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Love your animal pictures! We have never been able to get a shot of an owl, since they are out in the middle of the night.
--JB

Becky said...

I can hear owls areoun us, but rarely see them They are the Great Horned ones. One night a few years back during a nice summer evening, I was out in our front yard hooting back to one, and it flew to our yard, and landed right on top of a telephone ploe where we were standing. Imagine how surprised we were.

Mary said...

JB: I know...I never see them either and wish I did.

Becky: You must be pretty good at sounding like an owl! How cool!

Jenny said...

Hi Mary
I'm really looking forward to W tho it will mean that you're nearly at the end of your ABC of birds )-: Such a great idea! (-:

2sweetnsaxy said...

Those were pretty neat. I've only seen an owl once and that was at the fair. Come to think of it, I've never seen an ostrich, not even at the zoo or fair. :-)

Eve said...

O is for Outstanding Mary!

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to be past "O" and on to some easy letters for short while at least.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: I must agree, that is an outstanding shot of the duck on the log. You ought to frame that one for sure.

sketched out said...

What a great idea to do ABC's of birds! Oh, and owls, just love those guys. It always seems so mystical to me to see one, on the rare occasion. Thank you for linking to my post. I feel very flattered indeed!