Monday, November 10, 2008

Time to start raking or mulching....

With the color fading fast, I wanted to do one more post with some color.
This first photo are the leaves from our Ornamental Cherry tree by the front door."Autumn frosts, so white and hoary,
Turn the leaves to red and brown,
Painting pictures full of glory,
Ere they flutter softly down."
This is one stanza of a poem that my great-uncle William H. Herner wrote. For my Ohio visitors, William Herner was an Ohio State senator for 4 terms first in 1912, and later in 1930. While there he was known as the "poet laureate" of the Ohio Senate. I have a little self-published volume of his poetry and thought this one was nice. Some of them are "funny" and I will have to use a few more of them, if I have appropriate photos :-)
This is a tree in our neighbor's yard....it is so gorgeous, I wish it was mine!

Close-up of it.


One of my maples has produced more color than I have ever seen on it in the past.

I was looking at the color through the lace curtain in one of the windows so I tried a photo...interesting!

Yellow is the predominant color right now.

Time to start mulching or raking......I prefer mulching....easier on the back :-)

17 comments:

Eve said...

I love your Great Uncles poem and would love to read more too! The lace photo is very nice Mary. All our leaves blow away the minute they hit the ground here! I don't know where they end up but someone else gets to use my leaves in their gardens I suppose! It's snowing in my area today and it's a bit depressing for me! Have fun and enjoy the color while you have it, were bare here now!

John Theberge said...

I did some raking last Friday, the trees are bare right now so I won't have to rake again until next year. Glad you liked the book, thanks for ordering it.

Mike said...

Stunning Autumn Colours Mary and the first shot looks like confetti.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Very nice color photos. I like the shot through the curtains.

Roses and Lilacs said...

I'm waiting for a little warmer weather to finish the leaves and do the last few chores.
Marnie

Mary said...

Eve: Uncle Bill wrote some really strange poems....very repetitive... but there are a few really nice ones scattered among them, too.

John: I guess I need to get the mower out and mulch the maples before they all fall at once and there are too many.

Mike: I like that comparison! Thanks!

Fishing Guy: I wasn't sure it would show, but it gave an intersting pattern to the color.

Marnie: I better get busy, because we had frost this morning!

Helen: Thanks!

Becky said...

I love that poem too, andthat red/ orange tree is something else. I'd be taking so many shots of it. Do you know what kind it is?
I like the image of the curtain too. It fits right in with Fall coors.

Becky said...

I guess I need another cup of coffee this morning, IF I drank coffee. My spelling isn't very good. That last sentence should read Fall colors.
B

Mary said...

Becky: LOL....maybe it's a Coors you need and not coffee and your subconcious knew that :-) I make typing mistakes all the time and hate to have to delete a comment to correct them. I always hope the person knows what I really meant to say :-) I thought that tree was one of those maples that has the beauitful reddish leaves, but in these photos it doesn't look like it. Will have to sneak over and inspect it or ask the next time I see one of them outside.

Mary said...

Becky: Maybe a Japanese Red Maple??

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

What gorgeous fall colors. That is a neat shot through the lace!
--JB

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am on the tail end of this one again!! Blame it on the time difference please!! LOL!! Absolutely gorgeous colors!! I am glad it is not my garden with all that raking to do so I'll just sit here and watch you!! L)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Love the bright colors.The picture taken through the lace curtain is beautiful.It must look lovely in your home with this kind of color showing through.

Anonymous said...

I vote for mulching, too.

Mary said...

JB: Thanks!

Joan: Shucks...I was going to ask you fly over here and help rake!

Ruth: Thanks! I do love seeing the colors through the windows, although I see more through the skylight above then anywhere else.

Wren: Sure beats raking...especially if you use a riding mower:-)

2sweetnsaxy said...

Though I'm envious of all these beautiful colors, I guess I'm grateful I don't have to do any raking. :-) I just love the neighbor's tree. Wow! What a flaming color!

Texas Travelers said...

Great colors. Terrific photos.

We had a storm with 3.5 inches of rain last nigh, so all of the leaves did not get a chance to flutter down as your poem says. I guess I can mulch them all at once now. ;o)

Troy and Martha