Sunday, November 2, 2008

Squirrel Sunday.....squirrely pairs

Twice this week "the Star" has shown up with a friend!! Gee....I hope this is a mate and I'll have little "stars" next spring :-)

I wish that I had much better photos of this next part. You'll have to imagine this action.
The squirrel on the right (Star?) suddenly grabbed that ear of corn and started up the tree with it in his mouth! An entire ear of corn!
Got up to this limb and had to rest and readjust his grip...

.....headed on up the limb.....

.....I have no idea how he could carry it and run along the limb at the same time....

The next picture shows the position of the starting tree....on the left....and the oak tree on the right. He LEAPED from one tree to the next.....with the corn still in his mouth...and hung briefly before getting a good grip and took off where I couldn't see him any more! He did NOT drop the ear of corn, which totally amazes me!


Maybe he was showing off for this new squirrel....who was watching me to make sure I wasn't going to come and chase him/her away.
What a gymnast!

Remember my two grass-tailed squirrels? I finally gave them names!

Obama and McCain! What can be more "squirrely" than U.S. politicians????
Don't ask me which is which....who can tell?
Be sure to vote anyway!
Be sure to also check out Anne's little squirrel in Norway! He's a really cute one!

14 comments:

Becky said...

Well now, you have 2 of them to watch, and they will be able to keep each other warm this winter. Are you able to see a nest? Your "star" certainly is a wonderful acrobat for sure. That ear of corn must weigh almost as much as "star". Apparently he didn't want the other one to get it, OR maybe he was taking it back to the nest for munching on later.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh how cute! That ear of corn looked as big as STAR...amazing that he could run with it!!

Mary said...

I was amazed that he could carry it with his teeth! I had a terrible time shooting photos because of all the leaves on the trees, but if I stepped outside they would have both been spooked and run away. He has a pathway from my tree feeder to the oak to another oak in the neighbor's yard to the creek area where I think his nest is.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

That is one greedy squirrel! And Obama and McCain are too funny!
Oh, and we got quite a few butterflies coming through our yard and did not realize about the yearly migration until my mom did a search on the internet.
--JB

Eve said...

You should have call Star "Super Man"!!! Don't get those two grass squirrels too close...you may end up with just clippings!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh Oh!! I thought spring was the time for love in the air!! Star has got some explaining to do and hopefully we are going to see some little Stars next summer. Maybe he just wants to be cozy and have someone to snuggle up to for the winter.

Greedy little bugger!! LOL!! I hope he was taking it home for the new Mrs Star. LOL!! You captured it well under the circumstances. I like your names Mary. No matter where you go in the world, politicians are all the same. :(

Cicero Sings said...

That is amazing, that feat of the corn heist!

The Birdlady said...

He is really something else!

Mike said...

These squirrel Sunday's just keep getting better.

Rose said...

Obama and McCain--tehe--but are you really sure you want to insult those squirrels? Sorry, I had to say that.LOL

Our neighbor puts an ear of corn out on one of those things where you push the corn down on a spike or something...I have never looked at it close.

But we have all watched Mama Squirrel go over there and push and pull on it till she gets it loose and takes off with it, brings it back over here to the west side of 7th street and up the tree she goes with it.

Oh, I don't think I have ever thought to tell you to go down and click on the label Mama Squirrel when you are at my blog...check her out when you have time.

sandy said...

hahah nothing can be more squirrely than US politicians.

love the photos and that guy is strong! what a show off.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat squirrel capture and how funny that you named you squirrelly pets.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I wouldn't have thought they would be strong enough to carry that cob of corn up the tree like that. Amazing! And I still smile at the grass squirrels. They are just too cute!

Mary said...

Thank you everyone for the nice comments!

Rose: I checked out your Mama Squirrel...great story!