Here it is the 6th of November and I just realized that I had planned to try to post an alphabet of birds that I'm thankful for! Birds bring me so much enjoyment that I thought it would be fitting to say "Thanks" each day for one or more of them. I will give it a shot, although there may be some gaps in my list that only creative thinking will take care of :-)
I'll catch up the first 4 days of the month now with my A-B-C-D birds.
A....Anhinga seen in South Carolina. I don't see any "A" birds around here that I can think of!
I hope that I identified it correctly, because I was not sure what the guide called it.
Is this also an Anhinga? I got confused with it and the Cormorant, but the beak looks straight.
B is for Bluejay! This one is easy, although I have fewer photos then some of the other local birds.
I'm trying to use photos that I may not have posted before!
C is for Cardinal, Indiana's state bird. A day never goes by that I don't see several. In the winter they make a dead tree look like it has lovely red blossoms.
Can't leave out Mrs. C......this is one of my favorite shots from several years ago.
C is also for Chickadee.......my faithful little clowns always around to cheer me with a "chick-a dee-dee-dee."
I think he is leaning into the sound of music that only he can hear :-).....or maybe he just wanted to give me a cute pose for a change.
C is for Catbird.......seen mostly in very late winter and early spring and he loves the suet.
Sort of a "rude" shot, but I love the rusty color under his tail and he doesn't show it off very easily.
D is for Dove......I call these 2 Gertrude and Heathcliff
I'm trying to use photos that I may not have posted before!
One of my favorites and very faithful feeder birds.
Well....that takes care of the first 4 letters and I'll catch up either tomorrow of Saturday to the correct letter.
I truly thank God for all the loveliness he created in birds and all the fascinating behavior to watch and bring us such joy!
14 comments:
Awww... you stopped at "D". :-) Great shots. I really like the last one with the two kissing birds. :-)
2sweetnsaxy: I plan to continue with one letter a day once I get caught up to today's date :-)
How many years have you been taking bird pictures? These are wonderful! I got my digital camera in late, late 2004, but with work didn't really start using it much till the past couple or three years.
Hi Mary, and what a good idea and very lovely photos too, especially the not-so-rude peek under the tail of the Cat Bird. That is a good identification feature to get a pic of.
I am still visiting in Montreal and do miss posting each day but I should be back in my regular routine next week.
ann
Great idea!Love your pictures and if you don't mind I may try that idea sometime.
Very nice Mary, your "a" sure looks like an anhinga to me.
Tom
Wonderful! Anxious to see E-Z!
Rose: I've probably been taking bird photos ever since we moved to this house in the "country" where there are lots of birds. We built it in 1980. However, we got the first digital around 2004 and I refused to use it much at first...stupid me! Most of my photos are from the last 3 years.
Ann: Hope you are having a good time and taking lots of photos! I miss your posts! After I posted this, I found a better photo of the catbird's tail. I don't have my photos very well organized for finding different birds.
Ruth: Go right ahead! I like doing alphabetical stuff and did the alphabet last year in a more general sense, but no one was reading my blog back then :-) I probably should jump into the ABC Wednesday thing, but I can't keep up with the 3 meme's that I'm doing now.
Tom: I was pretty sure of the first one, but not the second. I really enjoy seeing different birds on trips.
Helen: I'll do EF tomorrow and then I think I can get to one letter a day....some are going to be tough or not at all!
Pretty pictures Mary. I didn't know Catbirds hung around in the Winter. Maybe it's because you are farther South than we are. I also didn't know they came to the feeders and ate suet. HUM, you learn something new on here every day..
We saw Anhinga's when we went to Florida, but they were not to friendly and flew away when ever we got too close.
Hi Mary, thank you so much for a great variety of bird photos here. They are absolutely beautiful.
Becky: I think the Catbird eats the suet mostly because he is not a "seed cracker" and the sunflower seeds don't appeal to him. I can't remember what month he usually shows up but I guess you are right and it is usually early spring...March.. depending on the weather. I'll have to pay attention this year to when I first see one.
Denise: Thank you!
Good papa...
Wonderful A-D birds! Great photos...I love the chickadee tilting his head! And that catbird is a beautiful shot! Thanks!
Marie
Oh..nice idea and great photos. I have never seen a cat bird here..but I thought I heard one...
Post a Comment