Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My World Tuesday....Bosse Field and "A League of Our Own"

I'm running late with this "My World" post today, but I had to get out and get the pictures!
This is Bosse Field, currently home of the Evansville Otters Frontier Baseball league team.
Built in 1915 this is the 3rd oldest baseball field in regular use! Lovely old red brick building in a park setting.
Great place to bring the family in the summertime!
Our "field of dreams"

The field
Did you see the movie, "A League of Our Own", with Tom Hanks, Madonna, Genna Davis, Rosie O'Donald? It was partially filmed right here!
This stadium became the "home stadium" for the Racine Belles!
Pretty exciting having all those big stars here for several weeks!

I like this shot through the crab apple tree.

Nearby Garvin Park is where I sometimes photograph ducks and geese.

However......
They were highly disappointed to find that I did not bring any food with me!
Uhhh......I think I'll get back in the car now! Duck attack!

For more My World posts click on the icon on my sidebar!
Thanks to Klaus and the others for a great site!
See what's happening in other people's worlds.

15 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat shots of the park with some neat info about the movie. Thaks for showing your world.

Tom Arbour said...

Mary- What a great old ball park. A league of their own is a great movie, I remember seeing it on the big screen when I was a kid with my grandparents. What fun it must be to watch a game here.

Tom

Unknown said...

This is my 1st visit to your blog and I am amazed with your animal photos. They are great! Beautiful little fellows!

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Mary, loved all your photos at Bosse Field, and the one of all those ducks, my goodness, what a swarm of the little darlings. I have seen a League of Their Own, great movie and fun to find out about it being filmed there. Thanks for such a great tour.

Guy D said...

Thanks so much for the tour, I especially love the pics of the ballbark. I added your wonderful blog to my followers list so I can return often. thanks again.

Cheers!
Regina In Pictures

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! The whole film crew was here in town for a month at least filming stuff. They also used a small ballfield for where the two sisters played before they were recruited and I think an old house here in town. Everyone was real excited about Madonna and Tom Hanks in particular. Many locals took part as extras in the ballpark game scenes.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I watched that movie and loved it!
I like the nostalgia of the building.
Those ducks look as if they were expecting something!
And I love the bird and squirrel pictures in your previous posts, too.

Mary said...

Twisted Fencepost: Thanks! People feed the ducks and geese at this park all the time. This flock of expectant ducks were a bit agressive today! Must be the cold making them hungery. There are about 50 geese, too but they were occupied elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Love the team name - I could see myself cheering for the otters.

dianasfaria.com said...

what a great post. A beautiful stadium too. I bet that is a nice place to spend a summer day.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love seeing these pics of your town Mary with all the interesting bits you tell us about it.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Thanks for the tour of your world, love the old brick, and i really love all those ducks. What a great place.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

How interesting about the field! I love the trough the tree shot,very pretty. And the duck attack! that'll teach ya, huh?! :) Thanks for dropping by my world. It is better to drill our own oil than to rely on others!

Mary said...

Wren: I like their name, too and it is fun to watch them play even though it is very minor league.

Lily: Thanks! It is pretty nice to sit there on a summer evening.

Joan: When do we get to hear about your town?? I have no idea what sort of town you live in.

Lilli and amp: they were very hungry ducks!

Carrie and Troy: Next time I'll take corn and bread. I agree about the oil!

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great post. It was kind of cool seeing the same stadium that was in the movie. Duck attack. LOL! They will do that when they think you have food won't they. :-D