
Evansville, Indiana is a big river town surrounded by small river towns.
The Ohio River is the reason they all exist.....shipping.
To the east of Evansville we have the river town of Newburgh with locks and dams and to the west the town of Mount Vernon. At that point you leave Indiana on the west and cross the Wabash into Illinois.
Whether it's barge traffic or pleasure boats or ducks....the water is there.
After years of changing our river front, this is how it looks with a boat launch, amphitheater seating, and a levy with walking path at the top of the horseshoe bend. Evansville is wrapped around this bend in the river.
The levee is a must ever since the devastating 1937 flood. We have levees and flood gates throughout the city.
I walked from the Evansville Museum and Visitor's Center along the levee and past the war memorials and 4 Freedom's monument which I have shown in this post: Riverfront and Ohio St. bridge.. .
I thought this memorial to the wounded, rather than the dead, was interesting. We sometimes forget that many live on with the scars of war.
A city of 135,000+ we have new buildings and high rises.....
....mixed in with the old buildings.
So far the Old Post Office is one of the oldest buildings still saved from the wrecking ball. The old roof is really fancy looking and I love all the details on old buildings.
A close-up of the middle section.
We have a Casino riverboat on the water front. It was controversial when voted in, but has provided a lot of revenue for more important things. At first the boats were required to cruise when the weather permitted it, but that quickly changed and now it is docked all the time. Our boat had a lot of trouble cruising because it was required to stay near Indiana's shore (Kentucky owns the whole river and did not want competition for their horse racing.) The whole thing was pretty crazy and it is better that it doesn't cruise then trying to safely stay so close to shore.
Small sections of river front downtown are still "wild" with trees, rocks, driftwood, weeds.
A Greenway path that follows the river and encircles the entire city is in the works in stages and some day we will be able to walk all the way to Angel Mounds in Newburgh......not me....but some really healthy people might do that!
For more My World post click on the icon on my sidebar.
Thanks to all who work hard to host this great site!
35 comments:
Such a pretty town Mary. I really didn't know there was any memorials around honoring the wounded. Such a thoughtful idea. I love the water, and it sounds like you have it all around you. Except for the creek behind the house, we have to travel almost 25-30 miles to get to any big water.
Quite an interesting post! I love the old buildings, especially the post office, and the new ones, too. The one you got from the side looks so fluid. My favorite thing is the amphitheater seating by the river. Perfect to just sit and watch on a nice day.
Remeber I used the model of the Post Office in my post last week.
Thanks for the cruise around Evansville.
I love the photos of the riverside. I can imagine sitting there for hours watching the world go by.
The memorial for the wounded is very interesting. I've never seen anything like it.
Thanks Mary, that was an interesting insight into your part of the World.
Excellent follow up to your My World post last week. You've given us a wonderful view of your city and your world.
Thanks Mary, I really enjoy these posts.
I hope the wrecking ball NEVER touches the old post office. That would be a crime, in my opinion. But I LOVE old buildings.
I'm sure the levees were an important work project during the Great Depression, one that has benefited cities along the Ohio ever since then!
Mary: What a neat tour of your area. I have been there several times to the riverbat casino and always enjoyed our trips. I have also been in your area on business.
Thank you everyone!
Fishing Guy: You and Mike probably deal with the same people, both of you being engineers. He's in Ashland again at the moment. I've been to the casino once and eaten at several of the restaurants there. You need to come fishing at the Blue Grass area I show from time to time!
Beautiful and well told! Post office looks awesome!
Cheers, Klaus
I have actually made a few pictures of some of those places...Nice post.
great photos of your town...thanks for stopping by my blog.
have a great week.
I love those old buildings. Great photos of you town. I've driven thru many times but never had enough time to really look around.
Marnie
We should do so much more than put up monuments as we have a family member who was wounded....Very interesting MW post..
I live by the sea, but have not had much with large rivers like this one to do. Many things in common, but differences too.
How interesting! I like the idea of the walking trail around the city and love that first picture of the tall building.
So many great and interesting pictures. Thank you for your visit and greetings from Croatia
Looks like a lovely place to live.Very informative post with some wonderful pictures.Thanks for the visit.
I enjoyed the photos along the riverfront. It looks so similar to our seaport village in San Diego, although it is on the ocean. Nice pics. I enjoyed the tour!! Keeping touring and sharing, it's great.
Looks like a interesting town. Thanks for sharing.
An interesting combination of the old and the new Mary. Those paddle steams are really interesting. I went on one which that have at Three Cities.
Mary- Nice shots. I just wanted to let you know that I replied to your comment on Megan's blog with the following:
Mary- I learned to thread a sewing machine in under 60 seconds way back in 7th grade (1992) and made an apron. I have since lost this skill.
Tom
I would love watching a river that was busy...it always fascinates me to go over the bigger rivers. I really don't know why...maybe from reading Tom Sawyer and Huck Fin.
Very interesting post and pictures, you have a lovely riverfront to stroll on
Love all your beautiful shots. Lots of interesting informations there.
Thank you everyone for stopping by!
These are wonderful photos, Mary. I have never been to your state so this is a nice introduction for me. Thanks.
What a wonderful post, Mary! I've never been to Evansville, but after this hope to visit your city some day. A perfect My World post!
What a great informative post!
You have taken us on quite a tour and it was lovely!
What a lovely post Mary, and so interesting. This meme is a great place for learning.
Wonderfully inormative and interesting post with nice photos.
What an interesting and informative view of your world! I really enjoyed the pictures of the old post office! It is amazing! Also, the casino riverboat is fun too! Love learning about your part of the world! I'll be back! Great post! Thanks for the comment also!
What a great mix of old, new and water. You know I like water.
:-D Thanks for sharing a little of your world. I enjoyed the tour.
Post a Comment