Monday, November 24, 2008

Misc. birds from the weekend....

When I took these first 2 shots I thought they were my Song Sparrow, but the more I look at them, I'm wondering if they are a Fox Sparrow.What do you think?.....Fox or Song?
The breast stripes and head just look "different" than the Song Sparrow and the color seems more "rusty". I have only seen one Fox Sparrow, so it's not very familiar to me.

The Bluejay enjoying the sunhine and seeds on the deck rail

This female Red-Bellied Woodpecker showed up briefly, so I thought I'd show her in contrast with the males I showed yesterday. Less red on the head.

Water gazing.

This Cardinal has at least 4 Juncos to keep him company....but so much harder to see! Probably have to click on the photo to see them larger.

Mrs. C at the feeder.

Goldfinches, always.

Mixed finches :-)
Chickadee grabs a seed to rush off somewhere.
I hope soon that old car will no longer be in all of my photos! My son sold it, but the new owner has yet to pick it up.....I'll be so glad to see it gone!

18 comments:

Eve said...

Thanks for the birds Mary...it's a Fox!! I would love to see one but haven't in years! Have a great day!

John Theberge said...

Wonderful photos, I'm still waiting for the birds to find the feeder I put out two weeks ago.

Mary said...

Eve: Oh, good...I have only had a Fox once before.

John: Never fear, they will come :-)

me ann my camera said...

The Fox Sparrow is definitely a Fox!! How great that is for you to have at your feeders. We haven't had any this spring or fall.... yet.

And in response to your comment on our weather. Our temperatures actually haven't been too bad at all except for the past few days. We have a forecast for 8 degrees Celsius on Thursday which is equivalent to your 46 degrees Fahrenheit!! And that will probably take all our snow away.

I can't believe the snow some places have had in the States already. We have only had the one snowfall which I assume will disappear soon.

Congratulations on the Foxy one showing up!!

Seth and Michelle said...

What a great set of photos! Thanks for sharing them! We haven't seen the Fox this winter (yet), but I'm hoping they're coming back to visit.

Janet said...

Those sparrows wear their camouflage well!
Mary, you can pick up a blog award over at Selma, Ala., Daily Photo today.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I'd go with Fox Sparrow on the 1st two. Seems to be more intense in color as the Song Sparrow.
Good traffic you got in your back yard!
Cheers, Klaus

Roses and Lilacs said...

The behaviour of the two sparrows is very different. You can tell a fox sparrow by the constant scratching as he jumps around. Very active little birds. Even if you can't see him well, his actions are very distinct.
Marnie

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neats set of bird photos. I never heard of a Junco.

Mary said...

Ann: I'm glad to know that you aren't too cold already. I'm not a cold weather person, but I don't like it real hot either. I need to live where spring and fall last the longest :-) Right here is pretty good.

Portland Backyard: I'm glad everyone agrees it is a Fox since I seldom see one!

Rambling Round: Yes, they were really hiding in the leaves :-) Thank you!

Klaus: Thanks for another vote for the Fox Sparrow!

Marnie: If I see him again, I will have to look for that behavior. I've watched some other bird do that, but can't remember who.

Fishing Guy: Thanks! Juncos are also called "Snowbirds"....I'm sure you must have them there.

2sweetnsaxy said...

You always get such nice shots. I don't see that many birds so I love them all! :-)

The Birdlady said...

You had a happy backyard for sure! These are great!

Tom Arbour said...

Hi Mary- I'll echo everyone else. Looks like a fox sparrow to me.

Becky said...

Isn't it fun when all the winter birds show up. You could spend hours photographing them. Great shots Mary.
Oh, I think it's a Fox sparrow.

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy and Helen: Thanks!

Tom and Becky:I guess that makes it pretty unanimous for Fox Sparrow.

Carletta said...

Always such beautiful captures!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am always so envious of your woodpecker shots Mary. I keep on hearing them and never ever see them. Lovely shots!!

Mary said...

Carletta: Thanks!

Joan: Thanks! Find something they really like to eat and hang it close by...works for me :-)