Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hunting for hawks....

Mike and I spent yesterday afternoon driving around looking for hawks or other birds of prey sitting on wires or trees.
I wish that I could say this is a post full of wonderful photos, but the best I can say is that it is a post full of what COULD have been wonderful photos IF I had a better camera! Our first sighting was one of those American Kestrels on the wire along the road to Mt. Vernon. At least I know what bird this is now!
Our second sighting was another one on top of this little tree near Hovey Lake.

This is an "unknown".....nice silhouette, but nothing to identify it by.

Here is was ready to take off.

We actually saw at least 4-5 hawks. I believe they are all Red-tails.
#1 was way up on the pole.....

.....we spooked him across the road to a tree.

Hawk #2 on another pole.

Hawk #3 I got the most photos of. Tail looks a bit ragged.

Not a good shot....wish it was more pixels!!!
He sat there quite a while watching us before finally flying off.

Our last hawk on another pole, took off fairly quickly after we spotted him, but we chased him to his next pole!
A backward glance before he took off.

He found a new pole behind the trees and when I took yet another photo, he left again! I'm amazed at how sensitive they are to being quietly watched from a non-moving car.

Well....that was our day of hawk chasing! We also visited Hovey Lake and I have some photos from there that I'll save for Monday.

12 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Mary that is a wonderful Kestrel photo for in my experience it has always been difficult to get a good picture of one. And the Red-tail! I think your pictures are great, especially of the red tail on the hawk. Aren't they beautiful birds! We went looking for hawks yesterday too and found a Northern Harrier and a Rough-legged one.

Now that you're into hawk hunting just think of all those great close-ups you can get with your new camera that you have asked Santa for :-)

Eve said...

Good hawk hunting Mary! I'll be looking for Rough-legged Hawks any time now. He is a winter visitor here. I've never really gotten a good picture of one because 1)I need a better lens and 2)it's not easy to get close!! Keep it up and I hope you get the camera of your dreams, you deserve it!!

Mary said...

Ann: It was fun to go out looking. Mike is good at spotting them pretty far off and we got better at creeping up in the car to a reasonable distance. Certainly works better with 2 people doing it together! We knew a route where they tend to hang out a lot. I try to zoom too close and then when they take off I'm not ready to follow and shoot. I had one shot where one shook his tail feathers at me, but it is too blurred to use...of course.

Eve: It is hard to get close! They don't mind a car driving by, but if you stop, even a short distance away, they get nervous and move to a new spot. Can't imagine trying to do this on my own without a driver :-) Mike has great distant vision so he spots them well.

me ann my camera said...

Mary, we came to that same conclusion yesterday, it takes two, or even more would be better for extra spotters! So the birds in your area are car shy too?

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat hawk shots, they certainly don't stay long so you take what you can.

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, I really love the kestrel on top of the tree. It's funny how some birds are more skittish than others. Eve's Redpolls spring to mind!

Rose said...

I like your hawk shots--I have yet to get a good photo of one. I don't have any half as good as these.

abb said...

Well, I thought I hit the post button earlier, but obviously with no success. Darn! Gotta know - did you see all those hawks on the very same day??? If so, I am totally in awe! Beautiful, Mary, just beautiful.

abb said...

And thank you for your warm sentiments regarding the death of beloved aunt - it is so very appreciated.
"To live in the hearts of others...." I am so grateful for the reminder. What perfect words to think about...

Mary said...

Ann: Luckily Mike is "far sighted" and spots the hawks on the poles very easily and as the driver, too, he then tries to sneak up. We got better as the day went along.

Fishing Guy: Yes, they really don't like posing.

Jenny: I liked that one on the tree top, too...sort of like a Christmas tree topper :-)

Rose: It is tough because you can't get very close.

Annie: Yes, we did! Out in the country and along highways near fields, they sit on the wires or poles and if you drive around you can spot them. Getting them not to fly off is the tough part! You are welcome. I've lost several much loved aunts. Aunts are pretty special people.

Becky said...

I say you had a good Hawk searching trip. I don't think I've ever seen a Kestrel.It's difficult to get good photos sometimes because they are almost always too far away. I took several pictures of that one we saw Thursday night, but when I enlarge them they just don't have the clarity.

Mary said...

Becky: That was the problem with most of my photos. My camera has a very low number of pixels and when I try to crop in they are just not clear or sharp enough. When I get a new camera....IF....we will go out again :-)