Monday, November 3, 2008

Duck painting.....


On my last trip to the wetlands I took a lot of photos of the ducks on this creek. It wasn't until I got home and looked at some of the close ups that I realized what cool things the reflections of the trees and the rings in the water were doing to the photos....making them look like colorful paintings. Most of these look best when you click on them to make them larger. This was the scene from a distance.
I really like all the lines and squiggles and touch of color in this one and didn't crop much off.

The white tree trunk reflection really set this one off!

I wish I could remove that stick in the foreground, but think this looks like the ducks are doing the painting with white paint :-)

There were mostly touches of green and yellow in the water. The orange was more subtle and didn't show as well.

Another lovely white streak :-)

Alone in a sea of yellow and green and white.

I kept this for the rings.....they seemed to really show in all the photos.

Swimming in Listerine :-)

They look like they are courting on a sea tinged with orange and yellow.

I may go back again at this time and try to do more of this on purpose instead of by accident :-)

20 comments:

Becky said...

One never thinks to look at the water shots like this. Excellant pick-up. The ducks around here are way too spooky, and I can never get close to them.

me ann my camera said...

Lovely pictures and I can see the possibilities of applying all of these beautiful ripples and reflections to canvas. I usually do a painting a year and I think I'm due to do another soon. I am envious of your location, it still looks warm and summery there. I check the forecast daily now hoping I don't see snow. We are leaving for a road trip to Montreal today and hope we don't encounter any snow, but we are having our snow tires put on before we leave just in case!

Roses and Lilacs said...

That water is reflecting wonderful colors. The last shot is a river of gold.
Marnie

Mary said...

Becky: You can see in the far shot that the ducks are not real close. I guess enough people walk across the boardwalk bridge I was standing on that they have gotten used to it.

Ann: It is actually still quite warm here...Indian Summer, I guess..but the nights are turning colder. We will not get the really cold and snow that you do at all, unless we have an unsusal winter. I think that much snow would really depress me. Have a wonderful trip to Montreal! If you do a painting, I hope you will show it in your blog!

Marnie: the colors amazed me when I looked at the photos. I did not realize it was there when I was busy shooting the ducks and the white trees really added neat touches.

2sweetnsaxy said...

The reflections are amazing and each one is different. Lovely!
:-)

abb said...

Beautiful! I didn't even see that stick until I read about it - then it became obvious.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Wow I really like these Mary. It is amazing the lovely effects the rippling water does and reflections. Beautiful series!!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Oh what a great trip, the beauty of digital is to shoot and see what treats you have found. These are really nice.

Mary said...

2sweetnsaxy: I think part of it was the time of day I was shooting... late afternoon...and it just happend to catch the light, the colors, the ripples and everything and accent them.

Annie: guess I shouldn't have mentioned the stick :-)

Joan: It was sort of like someone poured paint on the water and stirred it up :-)

Fishing Guy: Good thing the camera is smarter than I am!

Jenny said...

Gorgeous reflections Mary, specially those lovely zingy yellowy green ones!

Mike said...

Nice reflection shots Mary.

Mary said...

Jenny and Mike: thank you...it was beautiful water.

The Birdlady said...

Quack, quack! Wonderful!

Eve said...

All wonderfully artistic Mary!

sandy said...

They are all gorgeous and that bottom one is wow!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Very colorful pictures.The reflections are spectacular.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone....it was a nice day and all I did was shoot photos with no idea of the color I was getting :-)

chrome3d said...

So many great duck-paintings! Great idea. You are a Monet of Ducks.

RamblingWoods2.com said...

I love these photos...

Mary said...

Chrome3d: Thank you, although I can't really take credit as the artist :-) God creates and I am fortunate enough to have eyes to see it.

Rambling woods: Thanks! I think I will go back today if I have time and look for more color.